Author Topic: Help with chair  (Read 6028 times)

muellered_2000

• View Profile
Help with chair
« on: October 10, 2012, 12:53:28 pm »
Hello everyone. 

I have just spent hours researching dining room chairs on the internet and am stuck.  Please could someone tell me something about the chair I have posted.  I would really appreciate some info on the different parts of the chair and how to tell what period/country it is from

Thanks

muellered_2000

mart

• View Profile
Re: Help with chair
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 01:19:01 pm »
Hi there and welcome to the forum !! Since this is the section for introductions,, can you post your chair pic and one of the underside of the chair in the question & Answer forum ?? Not many read this part for questions !! We will try to answer whatever questions you may have !!  From the style it appears to be Jacobean revival but will wait to see the other pic for approx age !! 

muellered_2000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 01:56:29 am »
Hi,

Did this get moved or should I still post this somewhere else?  I will post a picture of the underside shortly.

Thanks

Mark

muellered_2000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 04:34:56 am »
Picture of the underside as requested.  I would really appreciate some tips on how to learn this stuff myself.  Maybe there is a good book or website?

Thanks

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 05:08:55 am »
Picture of the underside as requested.  I would really appreciate some tips on how to learn this stuff myself.  Maybe there is a good book or website?

Thanks
Is it just about chairs you want to learn about...or antiques in general....if its the latter...go on to ebay..and buy yourself a Millers Antique guide...there,s lots of them about...like these for instance...or here,...these books give invaluable info...and they are cheap as chips...and as you are in UK...you can get a copy for as little as 99p +postage...and they cover almost everything..
and i lkie your stripped floorboards...now, get started on them high skirting boards.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=millers+antiques+guide&_nkwusc=mllers+antique+giude&_rdc=1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millers-Collectors-Antiques-Guide-Books-Other-Job-Lot-/320996699662?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item4abce4ee0e
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 05:32:38 am »
Looks like Jacobethan Revival as Mart said, ca. 1940s, with some unattractive 70s upholstry.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 05:42:29 am »
Looks like Jacobethan Revival as Mart said, ca. 1940s, with some unattractive 70s upholstry.
Unattractive??....gross understatement....h ere in Scotland...we,d call it Gugit......google it..then look at Urban dictionary.... ;D ;D
nice chair...shame about its overcoat

muellered_2000

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 06:32:21 am »
Yes, I am in total agreement with you on the upholstery.  Any ideas on how much it would cost (roughly) to have them re-upholstered?  I am doing this for profit so what sort of resale value would you estimate if tastefully done?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 06:51:03 am »
I,m not so sure that the back rest...should have upholstery on it...judging by the really nice decorative work just below the padded back.make,s me believe that this chair was an open back...and someone has added that yuk, padded back...i would suggest that as you are of a mind to have it re-upholstered...that you remove that padding on the back, and see what the open back is like....because after all if you put this in to be upholstered..the upholsterer...is going to remove it anyway...i feel that by removing it you will be pleasantly surprised....
where in UK are you?.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 08:24:59 am »
Dust cover hides the construction but I think the same as before !! Its not easy to learn all at once !! Books will help as well as websites that tell about design and styles !!  Best way to learn is always hands on and ask a lot of questions !!
I will give you a website in a while that will guide you a bit but keep in mind that in the antique world nothing is set in stone and everything is open to interpretation !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 08:45:48 am »
http://buffaloah.com/f/glos/index.html
Providing this doesn`t raise more questions than it answers,, I think its a helpful site for anyone interested in furniture !! There are many, many little things it doesn`t cover,, but it will be a start for you !!
That chair is not one that I would invest in to reupholster !! You will spend much more that you stand to make if resale is your plan !!  However, it would be a simple thing for you to do if you have fabric, a pair of scissors and tack hammer !!  Might need to have one seam sewn but anyone can do that with a sewing machine !!  Here in the U.S. about $30. to $40. is top value for a single chair !!

muellered_2000

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 09:18:11 am »
Bigwull, you were right, I have removed the upholstery on the back to reveal (hope my research is good) a crown shaped balloon back.  I am in Berkshire.

Mart, great advice, thanks.  I am keen to learn so hope that I can pick stuff up from that site.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 09:25:28 am »
Good one! This also means that all you'll have to reupholster is the seat thus cutting costs!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

muellered_2000

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 09:27:37 am »
Here is one chair with the upholstery removed.  What do you think?  What would the best way be to repair the damage done by the staples used to affix the upholstery?

Any advice?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 10:44:46 am »
I knew it! good, To hide the staple holes...you will need to fill the holes in..now the best stuff to use is Brummer...it says that on the tin.. just google it,now it comes in a small 250g tin that,s only 2in tall, x 2in it comes in various colours, but as this chair is like a dark oak you will most likely have to use a dark oak stain to finish... or use what i use to cover scratches...its called Topps scratch cover polish...you can get it from most ironmongery shops, or online..its made by E.R. Howard LTD  in Ipswich...or again just  google it,...now this "polish"..comes in light, medium, and dark, it has a stain in it and it will do for a very long time..the bottle only contains 3.5 fl ozs...but you don,t need much...you apply it with cotton wool...i,ve had this bottle for 5 years and its still half full or empty...depending on which way you see it.. :D...judging from what you have written you have more than one??...