Author Topic: strange metal crucible  (Read 4849 times)

tomm

• View Profile
strange metal crucible
« on: October 12, 2012, 04:19:58 pm »
I recently found an iron or steel vessel that appears to be some sort of crucible in the bottom of a box of stuff I bought at auction. It consists of an outer vessel about 3" in diameter by 3" high, with a thin wire bail. It has a removable inner vessel 1 1/2" in diameter and 2" high. The inner vessel has an attached lid that rotates open on a rivet. The lid has  circular  letters molded on it that spell "the home". I just thought it was unusual until I happened to look at the bottom of the outer vessel. I was shocked to see a swastika stamped into the metal - the NAZI kind. I can't figure out why the top has an English phrase on it if it's German in origin. Anyone have any ideas?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: strange metal crucible
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 04:48:45 pm »
Why were you shocked?....Just because it has a Hakenkreuze or swastika as you call it....does not mean it is of Nazi origin...this symbol was not invented or made by the Germans, this symbol originates from a good bit further back in time....think India...Hinduism... see link
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4183467.stm

...from what you describe with its English text and swastika on the bottom..this has all the hallmarks of British India...in the days of the Raj..but we need pics...we thrive on pics...now get your camera out and give us what we need... :D...and just as a matter of interest...here,s another Swastika...would this shock you....

Swastika is also a small mining town in northern Ontario, Canada, about 580 kilometres north of Toronto. Attempts by the government of Ontario to change the town's name during World War II were rejected by residents

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 05:06:02 pm by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 09:03:02 pm »
Would LOVE to see a pic of this.  Everything wullie said is true.  The symbol was not invented by Hitler even tho the biggest notations have been from that time/era.

There are beautiful sets of china, etc with the symbols on them prior to this.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 04:26:32 am »
Here we have ...a Mosaic found in Kent England...from when the Romans inhabited ancient Britain...as you can see it has a "shocking Swastika"...on its border....now even today...if something like this or any other artifact...that had a swastika symbol on it...came up for sale,in Germany in a shop, or at a Floh Markt....it could be sold....but the symbol would need to be covered...i have seen many items in Germany for sale bearing this symbol.even ancient Hindu symbols..but the symbol was covered by a yellow /red paper sticker.....the Germans know it is there...but because it can,t be seen...its ok....When I first saw this, the first thing that came to mind was the 3 wise  monkeys...see no evil, hear no evil,speak no evil....then it is ok to sell it...

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 04:30:45 am »
Political Correctness run amuck.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 04:55:18 am »
Never a truer word said Cogar...I can see where the Germans are coming from....but weather they like it or not...this symbol is a part of history...but their hypocritical stance is,to say the least,staggering...A few years ago, i was in Germany driving down the Autobahn...and got pulled over by the Politzei...the reason. was according, to them, I was  displaying a hateful symbol on the rear of my Maverick.my spare wheel was on the back door, and i had a wheel cover on it...this is the actual wheel cover...I knew what it was...because i had it put there...it was a symbol that was on a German Konigstiger,...or Kingtiger tank as it was known,....now you can buy model kits of this tank in Germany...and these kits do contain a decal sheet with this symbol on it....but i was not allowed to openly display it on my car....as you can see there is no swastika..on it...but because it is from the war..its deemed a No,No,....they would not allow me to proceed unless i removed it...i took it off and put it in the boot...then carried on my way...when i got to the border with Nederland... and once over it, I put it back on again....

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 08:04:04 am »
We've discussed this once before...
At one time the US government thought the swastika was suitable for display on at least one of its projects.

http://www.swastika-info.com/en/startpage/usa/1068895981.html

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 08:08:07 am »
We've discussed this once before...
At one time the US government thought the swastika was suitable for display on at least one of its projects.

http://www.swastika-info.com/en/startpage/usa/1068895981.html
you may have,but,i have,nt and  we,ve not had this little crucible to discuss...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 08:36:41 am »
True !!  We have had items show up here with US origins and no relationship to Germany that had a swastika on them !!  I believe years ago it was a friendship symbol !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 09:24:47 am »
True !!  We have had items show up here with US origins and no relationship to Germany that had a swastika on them !!  I believe years ago it was a friendship symbol !!
it still is used today...in India...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 11:08:37 pm »
Okay....betting this is along the lines of what this person has.  Been driving me batty.  So I had to search and found this immediately!

Glue pot
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-1900-s-BUFFUM-Cast-Iron-Glue-Pot-THE-HOME-w-Swastika-Cross-on-Base-/320986105262?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abc4345ae

Buffum Tool Company used the symbol "Trademark History
Frank W. Buffum founded the Buffum Tool Company by 1908 and produced tools until at least 1922. He chose the swastika because of its symbolism for good luck and well-being. The symbol was in use for 5,000 years before becoming the symbol of Hitler's Germany. At the turn of the century, when the Buffum Tool Company was founded, the symbol was widely used across Europe to signify good fortune."
Read more: Buffum Punch Tool Identification | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_12182938_buffum-punch-tool-identification.html#ixzz29FPuQvBV
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:19:32 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 11:18:18 pm »
Okay....betting this is along the lines of what this person has.  Been driving me batty.  So I had to search and found this immediately!

Glue pot
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-1900-s-BUFFUM-Cast-Iron-Glue-Pot-THE-HOME-w-Swastika-Cross-on-Base-/320986105262?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abc4345ae
Been driving you Batty???....you drive me Batty at times...."betting this is along the lines"!...of course it bloody well is...its the same......but you,re just betting??....whew!....one of these days..you are going to make me fall off my chair?? ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 11:20:22 pm »
Might be safer to sit on the ground then!  :)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 01:12:50 am »
Thanks for the link KC.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

tomm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 03:31:12 pm »
Thanks, KC for finding the answer to this question for me. My first post on this fine site is a success.
tomm