Author Topic: Ale Slipper/Shoe/Boot  (Read 5589 times)

elltee

• View Profile
Ale Slipper/Shoe/Boot
« on: October 12, 2012, 06:02:07 pm »

Hello,

I bought this item at an auction.  It seemed very interesting and upon coming home I looked on the internet and couldn't find many pics or much written info either.  It's made of tin and seems to have been painted but in good shape.  It's rusted on the bottom and inside but no holes.  Some small rust spots through the paint but otherwise looks good.  I don't see any major repairs that may be being hidden by the paint. 

I know these were used to warm ale or mulled wine in open fires by pushing the toe into the fire.  It seems they were used starting during the 17th century and stopped during the 18th.  I think it was mostly used in Britain but I may have read something about them being used in Germany as well.

I've only seen a couple pics on the web....and no sales on ebay or anywhere else I looked for that matter.  It seems to be rare from what I can tell but is it very rare as the lack of info would indicate?  Next question is...is it a desirable collectible?

It's a great conversation piece and looks great on the mantle but I did gamble on it being valuable and would eventually like to sell it and buy more sparkly things...  :D

Can anyone tell me more about this item?

Thanks,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Ale Slipper/Shoe/Boot
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 06:18:33 pm »
Its an ale slipper...its design was taken from..a good bit earlier..think,12th/13th century...its similar to a knights shoe...its actually an ale measure...here,s similar ones...but yours has the wow factor...

http://charlecotes.com/shop/article_75/Copper-Ale-Measure-%28Slipper%29.html

I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

elltee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 07:46:52 pm »
Thanks for the reply.....what is the "wow factor"?

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 09:21:38 pm »
The "wow factor" just means that it's cool enough that alot of folks would say "wow" when they see it.

Good catch, Wullie. Please indicate your choice of mango, coconut. papaya, guava, vicodin, etc. comin' atcha!!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 09:24:32 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D Mothers little helpers!
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 09:33:55 pm »
;D ;D ;D Mothers little helpers!
I never took you to be a Rolling Stone,s lover G,acres...Brilliant

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 09:39:16 pm »
The "wow factor" just means that it's cool enough that alot of folks would say "wow" when they see it.

Good catch, Wullie. Please indicate your choice of mango, coconut. papaya, guava, vicodin, etc. comin' atcha!!
Think I,ll pass on the Vicodin.....it .did,nt do poor Michael much good.....so i don,t suppose it,ll do me any good either.....and anyway...i doubt if it would mix well with Tramadol....as for the rest...i,ll take them by the crate....yum,yum,

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 12:15:21 am »
This definitely gets a wow from me, I've never seen nor heard of these! VERY cool!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 01:35:07 am »
As to weather this has any real value...is dependent on what the last one sold for.but as you cannot find any literature or previous sales....then it may  only be  seen as an ale measure or curiosity piece..then i doubt if it has any real value..

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 06:35:51 am »
I knew there had to be one out there...see link...look on left side of mantle piece, or scroll down...to find yours, made of copper

http://www.oldandinteresting.com/ale-warmers.aspx

elltee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 07:41:25 am »
Thanks for the links....but I have seen these pics....there seems to be only three maybe four sites that refer to this....only one has a handle like mine....which is the last one you sent me....one site is selling a non painted one for $525....but for the most part there isn't much info out there so I wondered if it's because it's very rare and hopefully valuable or because.....I don't know...just because.

I was wondering if there was more to know and if someone could give me a price range....maybe I'll take it to an antique dealer to try and get a price....I don't want to over value it and I certainly don't want to sell myself short.

I'll let you know what I find out.

thanks again for your time and input.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 08:04:45 am »
In the antique world, its all about buyers,it does,nt matter how old, or how rare an item is...its all about desirability...the factors that you have to consider is,if you,ve paid a lot for this, then you have to recoup this amount + whatever profit you are looking for,but it does nt always work that way...because it is a buyers market,..if no one wants it,then its staying with you,this one you have seen at $525, how long has it been for sale,..if its in a shop then shops can wait for a buyer to come along,as its probably not eating any corn....by this i mean their not in a hurry, where as some people buy something to turn it over quickly, then find they can,t,and before they can buy again,they have to sell the item they,ve speculated on..is yours made of copper,or is it tin,....is the one at $525 made of copper,...post the link and let us see it,this forum is all about sharing..info,..we are not magicians,we don,t always find every site where an item is being sold,as for knowing more...well, you know more than us,..as for giving you a price range...until we see the other one,we can,t say,asd we have nothing to compare yours with,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 02:08:03 pm »
Don`t depend on a shop for a value !!~  Its is rarely accurate !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 02:40:43 pm »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 03:39:42 pm »
Completed auction, March 2008

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4998712

Lot 790 (picture below)

ANTIQUE COPPER ALE WARMER
Estimate   $20 - $1,000
Starting Bid   $10

SOLD For $85

Then you have those current listings from people who have better drugs than I do ..... check out the asking prices.

http://www.4and20kitchenantiques.com/products-page/beverage-warmers/v-21-7-alecider-warmer-handmade-british-late-19th-century-holds-5-14-cups-4-38-rim-diameter11-34-long-without-handle-1-lb-2-oz/

http://www.4and20kitchenantiques.com/products-page/beverage-warmers/v-21-7-alecider-warmer-handmade-british-late-19th-century-holds-5-14-cups-4-38-rim-diameter11-34-long-without-handle-1-lb-2-oz/
You mean to say there,s something better, than caffeine laden Pepsi......these are not the same Sapphire...its one,s that have the straight handle and the pointy toe...i found one...but no price as its in  a country house thats open to the public...he/she is saying that one sold for $525...but i,m still waiting for the link...but its a bit of one way traffic just now....we,re here to help, but sometimes we need help too.....