Author Topic: Ale Slipper/Shoe/Boot  (Read 5584 times)

elltee

• View Profile
Re: Ale Slipper/Shoe/Boot
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 03:40:36 pm »
Here is the link to the one I spoke of earlier

http://louwersantiques.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=6420

I know the handles are different and mine has a lid....but the style is the same.

Thanks for the info/links sapphire....Such a difference in prices...from $85...to....$398....to....$525.  I guess your right bigwull it comes down to finding a buyer....I'm thinking ebay with a good solid writeup....just need to decide on a starting bid.....I paid $110 at auction.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 03:45:34 pm by elltee »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 03:53:18 pm »
Thanks for that link....i,ve got a friend who is a blacksmith and sheet metal worker, i,m going to show him this one...yours i think is superior to that one...as that one in the link could have been made yesterday..it has no age to it....good luck, with your future sale....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

elltee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 03:59:49 pm »
Oh...that's a good point...I didn't even notice how new it looked.... :o

I'm definitely interested to hear what your friend says....much appreciated bigwull... ;D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 04:01:42 pm by elltee »

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 04:10:57 pm »
Bigwull I was thinking the same thing every other one in all the linked sites all look shiny new for a piece that was stuck in the fire over & over again in the 1700 & 1800s !! elltee your looks to have good age!! here's a great site with lots of info on the diffrent types and how they were used really cool piece!! http://www.oldandinteresting.com/ale-warmers.aspx  (Sorry bigwull already linked that site !! Nice wullie!! )  good luck elltee!!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 04:20:11 pm by wendy177 »

elltee

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 04:15:20 pm »
Yep, wendy177.....this is one of the few sites with info on this piece and the only one with the same style as mine.

I'm gonna post it on ebay soon...I'll let you all know how it goes....wish me luck! ;)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 05:09:00 pm »
Oh...that's a good point...I didn't even notice how new it looked.... :o

I'm definitely interested to hear what your friend says....much appreciated bigwull... ;D
I can tell you now what my friend will say..after i tell him how much they might sell for..."how many do you want me to make"......he can get a sheet of 16 gauge metal...6ft x 3ft for £5....and he can make a few slippers out of one sheet......I can see it now...."the Bigwull Ale Slipper Company.... ;D ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 06:01:46 pm »
Be sure and put a reasonable reserve on it !!  Great find !!

elltee

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 07:06:47 pm »
mart....i was thinking of just starting the bidding and what I want as a minimum.....seems more straight forward....what are your thoughts?

I've never sold on ebay or anywhere for that matter so I'm open to all opinions, thoughts and experiences.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 10:41:42 pm »
If you put it on ebay...ebay is such a fickle place....it all depends, who,s looking on the day....i,ve seen identical items sell on different days/weeks...for sums of money that have had such a vast difference in price...that i asked myself.....what,s going on....i saw an item on ebay..and it had 12 bids and the highest bid was  £105...i had an identical item....i listed mine a day after, and my item attracted 6 bids, the highest being £60, that,s ebay.....you just never know how its going to pan out.....with this ale slipper , do as Mart says...put a reasonable reserve on it...a start it low.and run it for 10days....good luck,

elltee

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 10:45:26 pm »
thanks....I'll let you know how it turns out.