Author Topic: When can you claim something to be an antique?  (Read 6297 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: When can you claim something to be an antique?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 01:18:52 am »
     For sure the acceptable standard has been accepted as 100 years here in the U.S.  But this is a Import / Export law only and one can use the word freely as we all see on Ebay.  Ebay tends to be 75 years overall, many item in the Antique catagory have all pre war era items to be included, usually early century items.  Other countries are different on the import laws some as low as 50 and China well they don't think something is old unless 300 years has passed.  Anyway I just had to add this, to again point out these adjectives are not only misused but also very relative to personnal opinion, another reason one should reserve the use of these kinds of words only when age has been established.   Oh and don't get me started on the word Vintage   ;D  

elltee

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 01:22:05 am »
    For sure the acceptable standard has been accepted as 100 years here in the U.S.  But this is a Import / Export law only and one can use the word freely as we all see on Ebay.  Ebay tends to be 75 years overall, many item in the Antique catagory have all pre war era items to be included, usually early century items.  Other countries are different on the import laws some as low as 50 and China well they don't think something is old unless 300 years has passed.  Anyway I just had to add this, to again point out these adjectives are not only misused but also very relative to personnal opinion, another reason one should reserve the use of these kinds of words only when age has been established.   Oh and don't get me started on the word Vintage   ;D  

so I guess the heading "A rare vintage antique" is out?...lmao

elltee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 01:24:17 am »
It is a cool item!

Also, you can append the word "style" to something, i.e. Victorian style if you are not sure about the age.

oh...good idea!...thanks...

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 01:27:39 am »
    Oh you can use Rare Vintage Antique Style only if you add Wow and LOOK! to the title.     ;D

elltee

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 01:34:11 am »
    Oh you can use Rare Vintage Antique Style only if you add Wow and LOOK! to the title.     ;D

lol... ;D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 03:40:50 am »
Now if one is using Google to search for an item then one will get different results depending on whether or not one includes one of those descriptors (vintage, antique, old, rare, etc.) in their “search query” ….. and/or whether it is the 1st word in their query or the last one.   

The Google server doesn’t have a clue why you are “searching” for an entity and those “words” will act as “filters” to exclude all the other garbage on the Internet that doesn’t interest you.

Remember, Google can only “find” what someone else keyed in as the “description” … whether it is right, wrong or FUBAR, ….. and not what you think the “description” should be. 

HA, that’s why people are so happy when they find this Forum …… and we keep telling them to “post pictures, post pictures”. ;D ;D ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 04:42:02 am »
As you had a little problem understanding..."the WOW factor."...i think you had better refrain from using Fubar...in any description....as any prospective buyer might have a problem understanding why your are saying that this item is ..."F**ked up beyond repair."...... ;D....or they may think....mmm....the y,ve been watching..."Saving Private Ryan"...too much ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2012, 07:01:43 am »
Ironlord my glass compadre you have been missed!!!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2012, 08:46:10 am »
     Thanks wendy good to be back.  :D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2012, 08:59:30 am »
Hey Ironlord !!  Its about time !!  Missed ya` !!
I can only add to follow Ironlords advice !! Put only what you know to be true and please don`t add L@@K !!  Or W@W !!
Its a real turn off for serious buyers !!

elltee

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2012, 05:40:35 pm »
Thank you....to everyone....your advice and comments have been very helpful....much appreciated... ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2012, 07:15:19 pm »
Good luck !! And let us know how it sells !!