Author Topic: Best strategy to sell  (Read 14012 times)

elltee

• View Profile
Best strategy to sell
« on: October 14, 2012, 08:48:32 pm »
I'm unsure whether to start with a low price and set a reserve or start with the minimum I want and let the bidding go from there.  My research seems to indicate that low starting bids get more interest but then again some bidders avoid those sales with reserve bids... :-\

What's been your experience?  I'm also interested to hear your general thoughts on this topic too.

Thanks.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Best strategy to sell
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 09:41:12 pm »
      In my opinion you start a item at the least you are willing to sell it for.   No Reserve, Reserve is like a way to fool you into thinking you might get it cheaper and seems a bit shady to me.   This is the method I use for my personal stuff, If I don't sell well I will look prettty on my shelves.   At work we have a different method that seems to work really well, but I would not recommend it for personal items.  We start everything at 9.99 and see what happens, believe me if it is worth a $200.00, we alway at least get $150.00 most of the time, and sometimes more, but there we are selling donated items that we did not purchase.  As a basic general rule ask your self what is the least you are willing to sell for and cross your fingers.

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 11:17:38 pm »
There are several schools of thought on this one, but ironlord1963 hit the nail on the head. I sell a lot of eBay, and that's the way that I do it. My clients are usually happy with the outcome, and so am I.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

elltee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 10:32:13 am »
Thanks for the feedback.....my gut said set the minimum and hope for better....it just seemed more honest and straightforward so I'm glad to get the same back.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 05:28:05 pm »
Ebay is a fickle place...you just never know how things will pan out...if there are buyers out there that want this measure...then it will sell itself...its better than the one,s priced at the higher end....make sure you list worldwide...and again good luck...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

elltee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 06:59:50 pm »
Ebay is a fickle place...you just never know how things will pan out...if there are buyers out there that want this measure...then it will sell itself...its better than the one,s priced at the higher end....make sure you list worldwide...and again good luck...

Thanks.....I'm taking my time to list....I am presently enjoying the process of trying to authenticate the item and learning how to do so in the process....I'm having a rather good time meeting some interesting people....I sent some pics and emails out and am waiting to hear back....if these don't pan out I'm gonna contact our local pioneer village....I bet they have a smithy affiliated....the fun continues.... 8)

richardedwin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 04:39:35 am »
You can also buy from ebay, but there is always an insecurity whether the product is proper or not. What you see while ordering is similar to the one you get. It would be better to purchase directly from shopping mall or shops.

hubruff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 11:38:42 am »
I tried starting an item at 99 cents, no reserve, and free shipping, just to see how it went. As expected I got a lot more watchers than usual. It looked like I was gonna lose money on the item, but in the last hour bids started pouring in and I ended up doing a little better than breaking even. So basically it got me more attention but not more money.
If something is to cheap to pass up, Don't Pass It Up!!!

BollyRob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 02:52:28 am »
Ive tried both ways and agree with the general consensus on here, better start at the minimum you would accept and hope for the best.

I always believed that generally an item would find its value with such a vast audience but I got stung a few times where I had to let items go for a fraction of their value. I could list a similar item a week later and get ten times as much so that theory doesnt really work! It also soul destroying spending time wrapping items and sending them out when you know you have actually lost money on it... I wont do that again.

I also think that starting an item worth £100 at 99p devalues the item.

Agreed, you will get a lot more watchers and views but very rarely will you get more money, the only advantage is that your listing fees are less but it is a calculated gamble.

Sergnov

• View Profile
    • Joomla extensions
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 03:16:43 am »
Hi . I haven't experience , but I think that you are write .

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 05:07:49 pm »
Welcome to the group Sergnov !!  Why don`t you go to the intro section and tell us about yourself and your interests !!  Always glad to have another member !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 05:57:38 am »

Agreed, you will get a lot more watchers and views but very rarely will you get more money, the only advantage is that your listing fees are less but it is a calculated gamble.

That is certainly the main incentive for many, but as BollyRob says, you rarely benefit financially.
I don't sell a phenomenal amount on ebay, just enough to keep it interesting, and my thinking is that there is no single approach that fits all.

If I am selling say a vintage, 1970s wristwatch that say I paid £100 for and that I know should sell for c. £250, then I see little point at starting at 99p, for a couple of reasons. I don't want  watching figures  inflated by people who think they'll win it for 99p, or even £9.99. Also, I don't want to risk selling it for much less than my original outlay of  £100 plus Ebay fees, just in case it gets missed. I'd rather pay slightly higher insertion fees, which in the scheme of things are negligible compared to how much you could lose. So in this case I might start at £99 which will still be low enough to attract the serious buyers. If it sells for only £99 then I've not lost much (never happened yet, touch wood).

I've even listed such items as 'Buy it Now or Best Offer', and if I think it should easily realise £250, but I'd be happy to accept  say £220, then I'll list it at £250 or even slightly higher, and prime it to accept £220. Most people who are serious and know the usual realised prices  tend to make an offer roughly 10% lower than the asking price (only in my experience). I've never yet had anything unsold or lost £££ on the final price. Make sure your pics and the descriptions are clear, and you'll get and maintain interest.

For something of a lower value which I perhaps paid very little for, then I'd happily start at 99p and take a risk.

When buying I often look very carefully at items that have terrible photos as these tend to put people off, and I've had some real bargains (also the odd duff buy, but more + than -)