Author Topic: Help with 1954 Australian Astor GQR Radiogram?  (Read 5438 times)

ayashe

• View Profile
Help with 1954 Australian Astor GQR Radiogram?
« on: October 14, 2012, 09:40:19 pm »
Hi, I purchased this radio yesterday and it was delivered today. Thrilled to have it! Am curious about value & caring for it. I think I paid a fair price and I'm happy with what I paid, just wondering if there are any other guesses as to its worth. It's a 1954 Australian Astor GQR Radiogram with radio and turntable. It can play old gramophones records as well as vinyl, and the radio receives am. It has a beautiful sound. The radio shows international stations on the dial, such as Moscow, USA, Berlin, London, etc. (see pic) but I haven't worked that out how to receive them yet.

It's in fairly good condition, has several nicks and the lacquer is quite cracked in places. I am not interested in restoring it, I like its character. But I would like some tips (if anyone has any to give) on how to make the nicks in the wood veneer less obvious. The woman I bought it from said to try clear nail polish and brown boot polish! While I'm not opposed to this, I'd like to learn about other options first if I can!  :D  I was able to find some old ads from 1954 from various Australian newspapers so I attached them for fun. Please see pics below and thanks for any help.

ayashe

• View Profile
Re: Help with 1954 Australian Astor GQR Radiogram?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 02:50:23 am »
AND it STINKS!!! Can anyone recommend a way to get the stinky, musty, sour smell out of the wood? It's awful and stinking up our house! My hubby is not happy with me, lol....

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 04:31:14 am »
AND it STINKS!!! Can anyone recommend a way to get the stinky, musty, sour smell out of the wood? It's awful and stinking up our house! My hubby is not happy with me, lol....
Get some fresh lemon juice,and wipe down every part of this,in my opinion...beautiful,radiogram..that has those wonderful valves........as for hubby...tell him to go..??..no better still buy him a case of XXXX. ;D ;D ;D..
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 05:38:55 am »
Good advice! Tubes ("valves") rule!

The overall condition of it is amazing. Too bad about the smell.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 06:04:09 am »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 11:37:30 am »
First the smell !! If it has enough of an opening inside the cabinet,, pour some coffee grounds into a container and close it all up several days !! The coffee is supposed to absorb the odors !! I know some antique dealers that swear by this method but bad smells may need it twice !! Wouldn`t hurt to use Bigwull`s method after that !!  I have on occassion wiped the inside of drawers with that wintergreen rubbing alcohol but don`t use on outside !!
The boot polish has long been used and works quite well but make sure you get a color that is a shade lighter than what you are trying to hide !! Sometimes a dark polish is too dark for a mid tone wood !! If you don`t want to use the clear nail polish or are uncomfortable with it,, just use a neutral boot polish over the hidden  scratches and buff to shine !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 01:56:28 pm »
Another sure fire way to eradicate that musty odour is to use malt vinegar, pour some into a small bowl, and place inside it will absorb the smell,...you can also mix vinegar with lemon juice to wipe down the bakalite surface, of the record deck and on the glass frontage of the tuner...

ayashe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 03:37:01 am »
Thanks, the boot polish worked a charm! Will give the lemon juice with water a try. In the meantime, I read on another forum that putting a bar of soap inside of old furniture can help with the stink so I put in two bars of Dove soap. Seems to be helping. If it wears off I'll definately be giving your other suggestions a try, though. Coffee sounds good! Thank you everyone.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 03:40:49 am »
Thanks, the boot polish worked a charm! Will give the lemon juice with water a try. In the meantime, I read on another forum that putting a bar of soap inside of old furniture can help with the stink so I put in two bars of Dove soap. Seems to be helping. If it wears off I'll definately be giving your other suggestions a try, though. Coffee sounds good! Thank you everyone.
...Well, soap works on grubby little children...no reason why it should,nt work on a plywood & plastic....  ???

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 04:34:21 pm »
Setting a lidded jar of vanilla extract (with a few holes poked in the top - this method for any of those is less likely to spill than an open dish).

Also, like with a stinky refrigerator, simply wad up printed newspaper and it will absorb smells like a charm!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!