Author Topic: wullie! stripping question (no not that kind!)  (Read 10706 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: wullie! stripping question (no not that kind!)
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 01:33:26 am »
So I could likely be dealing with burn marks rather than a chemical reaction?
Did,nt you read my first reply.... :D...heat gun....hellooooo is there anyone in there!....what you can do is punch the nails deeper,fill in the hole,s try and remove as much of the marks as pos,by sanding with a fine sand paper,you can,t stain it mahogany..as the grain is wrong....you might get away wiyh walnut....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 03:38:24 am »
Sapphire, those black splotches were caused by “oxidation” (rusting) of the iron in the nails, probably due to a high humidity (water) environment ….. and not by any heat gun, stripper or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The correct name for that discoloration is “black iron oxide”.

And here is one opinion and their instructions ... for what ya gotta due iffen you want to try fixing your problem, to wit.

How to Remove Rust Stains When Refinishing Wood
http://www.ehow.com/how_4474703_remove-rust-stains-refinishing-wood.html 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 09:48:38 am »
Did I miss something here....what Flying Spaghetti Monster......"Black Iron Oxide....sounds like a Rock Band..... ;D ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 02:13:35 pm »
  Boy did I learn something new when I searched Flying Spaghetti Monster...... Whew!

cogar...I agree that it could very well be iron oxide stains...but just can't believe the furniture would have been that "wet" to have it seep that far into the wood.  However, the more porous the wood...the further reaching...and it must have happened during "restoration".  I believe it got a double whammy somehow...  (Sorry, pondering out loud....too much....)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 05:26:26 pm »
I have dealt with oxidation and its not too difficult !! That was my first thought too !! But I have never seen oxidation extend that far away from the nail !!  Now its possible that its a combination with the two !! Whatever stripper they used could have reacted with the nails, then with added heat expanding the wood, it seeped outward !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 05:48:09 pm »
I have dealt with oxidation and its not too difficult !! That was my first thought too !! But I have never seen oxidation extend that far away from the nail !!  Now its possible that its a combination with the two !! Whatever stripper they used could have reacted with the nails, then with added heat expanding the wood, it seeped outward !!

I'm just hoping it didn't seep that much inward  :P

OMG you guys are a hoot!  I swear someone could have a beautiful piece fall apart in their hands and you would all still be able to make them chuckle.  ;)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 06:24:41 pm »
no point in being despondant...what,s done is done...you,ve just to make the best of a bad joke.... ;D ;D ;D

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 06:37:10 pm »
no point in being despondant...what,s done is done...you,ve just to make the best of a bad joke.... ;D ;D ;D

wullie, this sideboard has so many giggles your sides would be splitting  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 06:47:01 pm »
Sapphire,, that last pic pretty much says that it is a chemical reaction with the nails !!  See how a few places are dark below the nail ??  Either it ran or was wiped downward !!  Those at the top look like normal oxidation !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 07:08:52 pm »

this should be joining the queue...waiting to get into my woodburner....oak gives off good heat...it would be a shame to waste it..... ;D

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 07:58:39 pm »

this should be joining the queue...waiting to get into my woodburner....oak gives off good heat...it would be a shame to waste it..... ;D

Alright you..............go stand in the corner!! >:(

;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 03:17:15 am »

Alright you..............go stand in the corner!! >:(

;D
...Yes!..Mam!...three bags full Mam!.....Oh...which corner ?... ;D

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2012, 04:17:32 am »
I have seen such marks pretty often in my time - the culprit in most cases was one of those old, highly toxic paint strippers. The stripper literally split iron residue from the nails and had it bleed into the surrounding wood. Those stains are not real 'rust' (iron oxide, FeO) but 'iron stains' (Fe) which is sometimes incorrectly called 'black iron oxide' (misleading, as the OXIDE part is missing). Very hard to remove as they often reach deep below the wood surface.

Note: those stains are the reason for the old general rule to NEVER use metal tools when working with those high toxic paint strippers. Not only the old nails, but also hinges and of course the tools all ruined the woodwork. Many people therefore took the water approach: slap the stripper on the item, let it work, then remove the stripper and old paint with water and a course scrubbing brush (of course wearing gloves during the process). That procedure works like a dream with real oak, etc. (done enough of it while restoring 300 year old doors and wall panels, I can tell you!).

Either you slap some covering paint over the whole thing or you really have to invest MUCH manual work, as each stain would have to be treated independently. First, all nails would have to be removed, reason being that if you sand the areas down, you once again transport iron residue into the wood. Same goes for chemically bleaching the stains - the bleach once again attacks the nails. Hence they have to be removed before you start treating the stains. Slapping the nails deeper in the wood will not really help as they are the reason for the discoloration and are bound to create the same affect again (over time) when or after the surface is/was re-treated.

Next to sanding the wood down with either sanding paper or non-corrosive wool (stainless steel, brass, etc.), most people forget the typical restorer trick: glass. Regular window panes of thin sheet glass do not break in straight lines, but always in curved shards. These can be easily utilized as scraping tools (as you wear gloves anyway) and work miracles when actually having to clean up wooden ornaments normally too complex to allow the use of prefabricated (out of the box) tools. The sharp edges of glass shards can also be used to carefully scrape off the top layer of the discoloration; I sometimes even managed to remove some of these stains completely (one of course has to increase the working area around each stain to avoid creating 'pits' in the wood), however I always sanded down the whole surface afterwards and thus created a flat surface once again. My rule of thumb was to treat flat wood like that, while applications were removed and bleached (pretty often, I had to come up with a 'drying rack' contraption to keep the removed applications from warping under the influence of water, stripper or bleach).

Just my two coppers, seven Yen, whatever ;)

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2012, 04:41:25 am »
However, the more porous the wood...the further reaching...

You got it, KC, you got it, .... you got it.

That sideboard is made of White Oak which is one of the most porous of wood types.

As a matter of fact the porosity of White Oak is what makes it so famous and literally loved by tens of millions of people around the world.

Uh, … uh, … actually its not the oak they love so much, ….. it’s what that oak contains when it is shaped like this, to wit:

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2012, 04:55:26 am »
However, the more porous the wood...the further reaching...

You got it, KC, you got it, .... you got it.

That sideboard is made of White Oak which is one of the most porous of wood types.

As a matter of fact the porosity of White Oak is what makes it so famous and literally loved by tens of millions of people around the world.

Uh, … uh, … actually its not the oak they love so much, ….. it’s what that oak contains when it is shaped like this, to wit:

White Oak...are you having a bad day Cogar...that sideboard is no more white oak..than I am a Chinaman.....oops!..I,ve just fallen off my seat..LOL!.LOL!..LOL!..furthermore...as for Oak..being porous...where did you get that idea...Oak was used in shipbuilding ..think all of the British ships of the line...in the 1800,s.....Nelsons Victory....still floating today....i, think i,m going to get a seat belt fitted to my chair..LOL!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:46:37 am by bigwull »