Author Topic: Blue speckled ceramic frying pan  (Read 2626 times)

ANCIENTONE

• View Profile
Blue speckled ceramic frying pan
« on: October 15, 2012, 01:51:13 pm »
Ceramic not cast iron. It's around 8" in diameter and the handle tapers down flush with bottom of pan.  How old would this be and can it be used? Thanks!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Blue speckled ceramic frying pan
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 02:11:35 pm »
I think you,ll find that this is a metal pan with a ceramic coating,most likely aluminium..or maybe titanium...as to the shape of the handle, i have a feeling that this has not been made this way, because..if it was...you would not be able to use it on the burners at the rear of the cooker,...as you,d end up with a very hot handle...i think its been heated too much and the handle has distorted as to being able to use it....well, as it could only be used on the front burners,it would then become a danger,as the handle is sticking out and down...and would be within reach of curious little fingers....hang it on a pot hook for decoration...or bin it....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 02:46:36 pm »
Most of these are cast iron with ceramic coating like Bigwull said !! Many are made in France and can be about $80.  when new !!  They are not old and are sold a lot on Ebay !!  Many of them are factory seconds which is what yours may be with that handle !!

ANCIENTONE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 03:11:26 pm »
I'm about 90% sure it's ceramic.  Its not heavy like cast iron but just as thick. When I tap it with my finger it sound just like a dinner plate. Here are some more pics...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 03:56:57 pm »
I'm about 90% sure it's ceramic.  Its not heavy like cast iron but just as thick. When I tap it with my finger it sound just like a dinner plate. Here are some more pics...
I, know its ceramic...but i think you are thinking. ceramic...as in ceramic tile,...well, forget it...it would not work, the fragility of such a pan,would be impossible to keep in one piece...looking at the way the handle meets the pan...is as Mart suggests..a second..that bulge on the inner face...suggests that the handle dropped when it was in the oven being fired...not as it is pottery but to get the ceramic coating evenly applied....we have similar dishes here..they are made by Le Creuset...but they are cast iron with a ceramic coating...we also have a bean pot..which is made of stoneware,.which can be in the freezer for months then go straight into a seriously hot oven without cracking...but it comes at a price...to test if this is aluminium..hang the pan up,..e.g put a cord through the hole hang it so it dangles free then lightly tap it with a metal object if its pottery it will have a dull sound..if its aluminium or other metal it will have a ring to it...

ANCIENTONE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 05:01:13 pm »
Please accept my apologies, I was mistaken. You and mart are correct!  Thank you for the help...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 05:06:07 pm »
I,m back on the coconuts again..so that,s one each to Mart and I....a nice result to end a long day...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 05:17:10 pm »
Mart....surprised you didn't note that these come in droves into Texas via Mexico...enamel coated metal.  Still produced by places like Cinsa.  In fact you can buy them right now at Sears, Walmart, Winn Dixie, Publix, etc....

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 05:21:46 pm »
Mart....surprised you didn't note that these come in droves into Texas via Mexico...enamel coated metal.  Still produced by places like Cinsa.  In fact you can buy them right now at Sears, Walmart, Winn Dixie, Publix, etc....

Now I know what KC stands for....."King Coconut"....LOL!.....shall i get my coat.....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 05:45:55 pm »
LOL  !!! I try to stay far, far away from Wal-Mart !! We do not have another similar store in this town !!  No Winn-Dixie,Target,K-Mart, Tom Thumb, Kroger ect !!  Its Wal Mart , Brookshires or Super 1 here!!  Also try to stay away from the border !!!
I did not know that KC !! I would bet that the ones coming from Mexico are a cheaper metal though !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 05:52:12 pm »
LOL  !!! I try to stay far, far away from Wal-Mart !! We do not have another similar store in this town !!  No Winn-Dixie,Target,K-Mart, Tom Thumb, Kroger ect !!  Its Wal Mart , Brookshires or Super 1 here!!  Also try to stay away from the border !!!
I did not know that KC !! I would bet that the ones coming from Mexico are a cheaper metal though !!
"Also try to stay away from the border !!!".... ;D ;D..you,re not a bad judge....a friend of mine passed through Jaurez...a couple of years back....in /out as fast as he could...