Author Topic: Antique shoe cobbler display counter  (Read 3294 times)

rbakerpromo

• View Profile
Antique shoe cobbler display counter
« on: October 17, 2012, 05:25:57 pm »
I just picked up a very old store display counter that has 20 drawers, a leather top and a wrap stand/string spool attached to the top.  I've NEVER seen anything like this and was told it came out of an old shoe repair store that closed in the 1920s. Any help identifying or giving info on this would be greatly appreciated. I've tried to do some research but havent came across anything like it

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique shoe cobbler display counter
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 07:35:28 pm »
The small wire pieces mounted under the top of the metal rack,, are they spring loaded !!

rbakerpromo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 08:44:47 pm »
Yes they are...

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 09:00:12 pm »
I'm sorry your pictures are confusing. It doesn't take much! ;D Is the piece that looks like avice of some kind connect to the small cabinet draws? My husband's grandfather had a shoe repair shop during the depression. I have some photos and some of his actual things. At a reunion 2yrs. ago we went to visit the actual shop which is owned by someone else. He worked on cowboy boots and and others types of shoes.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 09:27:28 pm »
What does the other side of the counter look like? Is there any glass for a display area? If so, it looks like a bean / seed counter from a general store. All you need is a roll of kraft paper and a spool of string to be ready for business.

rbakerpromo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 03:58:13 am »
The other(customer)side of the counter is wood with no glass. I'm not sure about the "vice" thing greenacres is talking about the only thing attached to top is the paper cutter.  If you are talking about the closeup pic, it is just the foot of the wrap station, I included it to show the leather top. Thanks so much for your input so far. Looks like the mystery continues...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 05:56:11 am »
It is what it is...a shop counter with 18 drawers as per picture...what use does it have....from what i can see...only one...at the back of a garage..as a storage area...to store all the small things that normally don,t have anywhere to hide....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 06:28:26 am »
Now it may have come out of an old shoe repair store but I do not see any "connection" between shoe reparing and that "service" counter.

People would bring their shoes in for repair .... 1 pair at a time .... and carry them back out 1 pair at a time. But the cobbler could have been "wrapping" them up for the customer to carry back home.

And I don't think a shoe repairman wouldn't really have a need for all that drawer space. In the 50's there were shoe repair stores in just about every small town. Frank Sefalia(sp) was the name of the repairman in the town I grew up in. I use to mow/cut his lawn with the old "reel" lawnmower and a sickle.

The leather top looks to me like a "cover-up" job.

rbakerpromo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 07:50:34 am »
Again, thanks folks for taking the time to give insight and opinion. The pics I took were as found. I have arranged to have it brought to my home today(damn thing is HEAVY)where I hope to do some poking and prodding as well as getting a better look at the front. I'm just excited to have a counter. All I have looked at before were way out of my price range and I picked this up for less than a wooden 4 drawer file cabinet. It will have a prominent place in my office and I can assure you that it wont be in the back of the garage, storing junk. lol

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 08:28:11 am »
After looking at the drawer style in your counter, I would guess that it originally was used in a drygoods store. Those low-sided drawers generally were used for shirt or similar item storage.
Regardless, it's a nice piece.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 09:50:22 am »
After looking at the drawer style in your counter, I would guess that it originally was used in a drygoods store. Those low-sided drawers generally were used for shirt or similar item storage.
Regardless, it's a nice piece.

Same thing I was think Rauville.........an old haberdashery cabinet (not a 'showcase')