Author Topic: Glass Restoration Question  (Read 3440 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Glass Restoration Question
« on: October 21, 2012, 08:16:22 am »
I found this cranberry rose bowl on a table at a church rummage sale. There was once some gold around the white flowers that has worn off. Those areas are etched and it makes the piece look dirty. Does anyone know a way of polishing out those areas without taking it to a jeweler. Or is it possible to replace the gold without spending more than it is worth.
I looked for years for one of these.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Glass Restoration Question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 08:28:20 am »
you can buy gold leaf that can be applied to the glass here,s a link to a UK, supplier, but you,ll be able to source it in the US,but this will give you some idea what,s involved

http://www.goldleafsupplies.co.uk/
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 08:50:39 am »
You could use gold leaf which is available at most all hobby shops or use a 24K gold paint and a very fine, tiny brush !!  Either way will likely be a little different color from the original but can be toned down if too bright !!  I use a couple of brushes with only a few hairs for things like that !! In a pinch you can also use a toothpick !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 09:35:24 am »
You could use gold leaf which is available at most all hobby shops or use a 24K gold paint and a very fine, tiny brush !!  Either way will likely be a little different color from the original but can be toned down if too bright !!  I use a couple of brushes with only a few hairs for things like that !! In a pinch you can also use a toothpick !!
Snap!!...look up.... ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 10:41:31 am »
I guess I am going to have to figure out a way to emphasize that I am only agreeing with you,, Bigwull !!  I do read the posts, so if something I say is a repeat of what you said,, it simply means I agree !! 

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 10:45:36 am »
    Have you considered Gold Leaf?   ............      ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 10:51:31 am »
    Have you considered Gold Leaf?   ............      ;D
Mart was right about you..... ;D ;D

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 10:56:55 am »
Actually If I was to honestly put my two cents worth in here, I would say don't bother with any time or effort on this piece.  First it appears to be ruby Flash glass, and not actrually cranberry.  If in excellent condition would be worth $10.00 at the most, if you like it then put it on a shelf and admire it, but the effort and cost would not be worth it.   If you do want to fix it, you might consider Gold leaf.    ::)

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 11:01:00 am »
I'd go with (dry) 'gold leaf' for restoring your item , frogpatch .... there are varieties of so-called gold leaf that have got little-to-no actual gold in them , & those will prob. serve the purpose for that that you seek (and save a big chunka dough too) ; since you'd mentioned that the glass is etched under the existing gilding , putting some leaf (& getting it to 'stick' to the glass) will be much easier than not .

You could polish the glass (with cerium oxide,water & a drop of Dawn dishwash soap) , but too much destruction of the original surface would most likely occur (IMO) .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 11:05:43 am »
Actually If I was to honestly put my two cents worth in here, I would say don't bother with any time or effort on this piece.  First it appears to be ruby Flash glass, and not actrually cranberry.  If in excellent condition would be worth $10.00 at the most, if you like it then put it on a shelf and admire it, but the effort and cost would not be worth it.   If you do want to fix it, you might consider Gold leaf.    ::)
OH! what big eyes you have.....now where did i put my sharp stick....maybe gold pent would be cheaper..... ;D

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 11:06:57 am »
     Sharpie make a gold Pen too   :P

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 11:10:39 am »
     Sharpie make a gold Pen too   :P
Noooooooo you,ll have to learn a little Scots here....where i come from paint is Pent..as in Wet Pent...or if you go to Weegie land...its weet pent, ;D

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 07:29:35 pm »
@Ironlord - The piece has a ground pontil and graduates from cranberry to clear. It is not flashed. Enamel and and gold were common 100 years ago as glass decoration.
 Thanks to everyone for your advice. I really want to just polish out the etched part if possible. I do not have the skill or steady hand to repaint the gold. After forty years in this business I have become very lazy too.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 10:08:38 pm »
     Good point, most flashed glass is not blown for sure, must just be the picture.  This style of decoration was really popular with the Venetian Glass Decanter sets,  and yes they did this a lot in the latter victorian age but even today this is not uncommon.  I by no means me to diss on you glass, but personnally if I saw this I would of passed, so maybe it is just my own bias talking here and I could of been missing out all the times I seen this style on the shelves at work and abroad.