Author Topic: Stiffel lamps value?  (Read 16072 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Stiffel lamps value?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 01:31:54 pm »
I know. Joking!!
...just you wait.....i,m an expert cat skinner...... ;D ;D ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 01:41:03 pm »
I'll be busier than a one-eyed cat watching nine ratholes just waiting!!! ;D >:(
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 06:09:39 pm »
I would have to assume that they're unusually well constructed? Obviously you're buying the name as well.

I'm mystified by the whole "mid century" thing anyway. It's mass produced; there's little craftsmanship, no "soul" if you will, and not much in the way of interesting manufacturing materials. And please, nobody shoot back examples such as Eames chairs built with rosewood, you know perfectly well what I mean.

It seems to be about a look, whether ironic, sincere, or both in the Warholian sense. It's hard to believe that it will still be around 10 years from now.

Still, any interest in the past is better than no interest in the past.

I like it because it makes me think about simpler times !!  People actually respected each other back then !! We would not have even thought of doing things that are done today !!  Policemen were your friends not the enemy !! The 50`s were "green" before we knew what it was !!  You actually laundered diapers, not pitch them in the trash,, and if you wanted a drink you turned the faucet on and got a glass or two for free (well almost) !!  Didn`t have to run to the store for it !! So there are many reasons I like it !!  Its simple straightforward furniture !! No pretense !!  It is what it is !!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 06:43:37 pm »
   Is not all American idioms taken from some other Language  ;)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 11:40:40 pm »
   Is not all American idioms taken from some other Language  ;)
...yes....first and foremost....English ....then get yourself a world Atlas and a pin....and take your pick of all the other languages... for ....you are a nation of immigrants...

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 04:34:58 am »
It's not the language ..... but the locale of origin.

"Original thinkers" that coin a new idiom can be living in any part of any country regardless of what language they speak.

Wikipedia states:  "There are estimated to be at least 25,000 idiomatic expressions in the English language".

But that doesn't mean all their "original thinking" authors were English speaking persons.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 05:45:33 am »
It's not the language ..... but the locale of origin.

"Original thinkers" that coin a new idiom can be living in any part of any country regardless of what language they speak.

Wikipedia states:  "There are estimated to be at least 25,000 idiomatic expressions in the English language".

But that doesn't mean all their "original thinking" authors were English speaking persons.
But I did,nt say they were all English speaking....think.. .Pin...Atlas....the n look to all the countries in Europe, Scandinavia, Russia, China...etc,etc,etc...this is where the rest come from....