Author Topic: Help! Farm antiques  (Read 2499 times)

Farmgal2012

• View Profile
Help! Farm antiques
« on: October 22, 2012, 12:47:53 pm »
I have a few antiques that I am curious to know what they are. The first one is about 4 foot tall, with a faucet at the bottom, a medal opening at the top, and has a date written on it 1936. The other one is a wooden box with metal interior, a thermometer in the front, and an exhaust type thing on the top of the side and has a company name on the front "VT FARM MACHINE CO". I googled the company, but can not seem to find what this exact item did. anyone have any idea what these are? or what they were used for?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Help! Farm antiques
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 02:38:51 pm »
We need to see the entire item to tell what it is !! Just the name doesn`t help us !!  We are visual people !!   Have you taken the top off the first one ?? Whats inside ??  Could be a small smoker for hams or sausage or curing box !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 05:07:48 pm »
VT is the abbreviation for Vermont, if that helps.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 05:34:59 pm »
http://fromfarmtofactory.wikispaces.com/Vermont+Farm+Machinery+Co.
This should help you !! Guess you didn`t read about the company !!  They started out making sap evaporators could be that both of your items are used in syrup making !! But they also made butter churns, butter printers and workers, cream separators, A creamer that was bought out by someone named Cooley and was later known as the Cooley Creamer !! And other dairy items !!

Farmgal2012

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 05:39:59 pm »
I googled every dairy-related item from the 30's and could not find either one of the items. I should look into syrup. I am assuming the item with the thermometer on the front is cream/milk related. However that first thing I can not find anything on. I have looked through milk,cream,butter, smokers, even wine related things from the 20's and 30's and still can not find anything what so ever.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 06:18:43 pm »
Look at the link I gave you,, I think they have a list on the left !! You may not find the exact one,, styles changed over the years !! And check ebay !!  They have all kind of ads for the company maybe you can find it there !!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:33:17 pm by mart »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 07:19:02 pm »
What is the patent number?  Can't see if there is one from the picture.

This reminds me of a VERY early separator.  Cream rises to the top and milk is drained off by tap at the bottom.  However, if you can tell me if there is another attachment on the bottom as is seen on the top?  It could be a box butter churn that attaches to a frame and rotates...then you drain off the excess liquid.

They specialized in dairy items and sap.  This isn't an evaporator for sap for sure.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:42:49 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 05:05:26 am »
Can`t tell what the second one is at all !! Need to see inside each one !! Would assume the top one is dairy related, but I don`t think its a separator,, or at least its not as pictured in the ads !! 

Farmgal2012

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 06:37:56 am »
I will take better pictures today, and hopefully with your help I can figure out what the heck the top one is at least. The bottom one from VT I have found a little bit on, but nothing exact. The first two pictures however have me stumped!

Mart I have seen that site before, It was very informative, but I could not seem to find my answers.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 08:29:02 am »
Usually just seeing whats inside will tell what its use was !! Also get a good pic of the thing on top !!  Can`t see to tell what it is !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 03:41:25 am »
If the floor unit is lined with tin then it could be a cream/milk "cooler" that used ice .... and the meltwater drained out via the spigot.