Author Topic: porcelain pitcher  (Read 2642 times)

Cambearing

• View Profile
porcelain pitcher
« on: October 25, 2012, 06:58:13 pm »
I've got a porcelain pitcher that's supposedly been in my family for 3-4 generations (counting mine).  It was made by Edwin Knowles China Co.  On the bottom is, of course the name, then the numbers 15-2-2, with a picture of a piece of pottery with the word VITREOUS on it. 

From my research I know the numbers indicate that it was made in 1915.  Although I have found numerous information and pictures of Knowles pieces, I cannot find anything that resembles it.

I'm sure that it was probably a common piece, but I would like ask is there anyone on this forum who may have more detailed knowledge about this particular piece?

Here are a couple pics:

Thanks in advance for any help (good or bad) ;D

Cam.

mart

• View Profile
Re: porcelain pitcher
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 07:10:24 pm »
It is a pretty common type and was likely half of a set which had a basin with it !!  These sets were used in most homes with a washstand !! Probably can be dated by the stamp if you can take a shot with it upright and close up !!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 07:24:21 pm »
     Yes these are somewhat common, and over the past few years have become less collectible overall.  Knowles stuff is also common along with a basic white and classic shape, would make these really common.  This was still a common item in most households into the Depression era and after have moved into the collectible area.  Victorian one with fancy Blue and White Art on the surface are at the top of the list, espically when they have the basin included.  This was made at the end of this period and basic, but will still look good on any shelf or cabinet, as for overall value not much.  At work it would not make the cut for online and we would put in the collectible dept, for 14.99 or 19.99, and occassionally they would show on the floor for 9.99.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 05:39:02 am »
Don't let the "c-word" (common) discourage you. This is a beautiful pitcher! FYI, not only would a basin be included, but there were much larger toiletries sets that included soap holders, chamber pots, etc. This may have been a part of a much larger "service."

Not disagreeing about the value, but the beauty of this piece is worth far more than the $.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 12:19:53 pm »
Yours looks similar to mine:
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 01:42:28 pm »
I thought about yours Tales the minute I saw this one !!  The basin is not hard to find,, I would buy one and have the set !!

Cambearing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 04:20:47 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I am glad that I now know what it is, in that it was used by my ancestors and not just a decorative piece. (which it is now of course).  I wish my grandmother was still with us so I could ask her if she recalled there being more pieces with it at one time.  I am glad it's not worth much monetarily, now there is no reason for anyone in our family to ever sell it, just pass it down as a family heirloom.

PS. I will look into finding a matching basin, that would set it off even more.   Thanks all!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:22:32 pm by Cambearing »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 07:00:20 pm »
Most all of my family had similar pieces !! Not of value monetarily but priceless in memories !! Perhaps you could look through old family pictures and see if there is one that had the washstand with pitcher and basin on it !!  Might be unlikely since these were usually in a bedroom but its worth a look !!

Cambearing

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 12:48:56 am »
Just found this. This is the exact same pitcher that I have.  Although mine does not have the gold inlay or printing.  Could have been worn off over the years or a version without the bells & whistles.  Definitely going to contact my dad and uncle if there was ever a basin bowl that should have come with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wash-Bowl-Pitcher-Edwin-M-Knowles-China-Co-Semi-Vitreous-G120-/170922036228?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item27cbbf4c04