Poll

I bought a holocaust sketch done by holocaust survivor Chaja Polak who is from amsterdam. I tried to web search her and the sketch she did but came across nothing. I am curious if its worth anything being that it was done by a holocaust survivor. Possibly

is it valuable
0 (0%)
how to contact artist
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: HOLOCAUST SKETCH  (Read 4091 times)

kevincurious

• Chaja Polak's "Dreams"
    • View Profile
HOLOCAUST SKETCH
« on: October 27, 2012, 07:02:10 am »
Her name is Chaja Polak. Lives in Amsterdam. She is a holocaust survivor. Wish I could at least find out more info on her sketch. I can't download the sketch yet, but will try to. Just curious if sketches of the holocaust is valueable?
Thank you,
Kevin

artx

• View Profile
Re: HOLOCAUST SKETCH
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 08:07:58 am »
hi,
in 1983 she presented her paintings at the Museum Ghetto Fighters in israel.
 I tried to see if her paintings were sold in israel but i found just a little information on her.

here some link: http://www.infocenters.co.il/gfh/notebook_ext.asp?book=23136&lang=eng&site=gfh

i will try to find more info about her sketch.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 08:20:54 am by artx »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 09:14:40 am »
She is also a writer!  They even sell her books on Amazon - stories of Holocaust survival.  Here is a blurb on her (must have it translated to read using some program on internet).  Pretty dark/morbid subjects in describing her works of a particular book.
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.9types.com/movieboard/messages/7804.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dholocaust%2Bsurvivor,%2BChaja%2BPolak%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DcxT%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26prmd%3Dimvnso&sa=X&ei=5fiLUOSuKIf42QXCp4HwAw&ved=0CCcQ7gEwAA

However, my better half grew up with a neighbor who is a survivor and only survived with a sister...and she wrote a book about it.  She and her family went through hell many times over the years trying to work through her childhood nightmare.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 09:16:31 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 09:52:22 am »
Its a very Evocative subject,...and always will be....I visited Auschwitz...in 2005...I had been to the Ukraine...visiting my Aunt and Uncle, and on the way home....i decided to visit, Auschwitz-Birkenau...and its memory will live with me for ever......I can honestly say..that,it takes a lot to make me cry....suffice to say...i shed many tears that day....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

kevincurious

• Chaja Polak's "Dreams"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 09:54:45 am »
Thank you all for the input. I downloaded a photo of her sketch called 'Dreams'. I bought it at an auction 2 yrs ago. From what I found, she made this sketch as a personal moment in her life describing the feelings of what is was like for her during the holocaust. I can't find anything about her sketch. On numerous websites of her, this sketch or drawing is never mentioned. Maybe then it was meant to be just a personal memento? I don't know how valuable it would be. I'm just dumbfounded that I cannot get any info about this sketch. I did contact the previous owner of this sketch, but she said she knew the same info as I did. So curious.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 10:07:18 am »
From a personal perspective,, I don`t see how anyone could put a dollar value on something like that !! Donate it to the Holocaust Museum !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 10:45:56 am »
Well said Mart!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 10:03:00 pm »
I like that idea as well Mart!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 08:45:31 am »
My son went to Dachau in college and I've read many, many books of tragic stories. Ellie Wiesel has several good books. Very painful times, scarey we are still living in a time where jews still live on the brink of destruction and people haven't evolved.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 09:08:14 am »
As much as I abhor.what happened to the Jews during the Holocaust,...I do not see them as being on the brink of destruction...they  are far too powerful a nation,now, and they are a Nuclear nation....but what they have been  doing to the Palestinians....sin ce 1947...when Britain gave them Palestine..because no one else wanted them,....beggers belief at times.....

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 10:47:41 am »
Have you ever been to Israel? Did you ever see the size of the country? They are surrounded by hatered. Scary place to live! My daughter lived there for 3 months and I worried everyday! Extremes of anything are no good. Yes, they are strong, but they have to be. If the Palestinians would help themselves and learn to build Palestine and educate their people and evolve on their own instead of breeding hatered  they would be a happier people. I don't see their fellow Arabs helping them either, so why blame Israel. They have been terrorizing by Israel for years. Nothing is ever enough! The sad part is that everyone fights among themselves. Can't we all just get along.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 11:18:39 am »
No, I have not been to Israel...but i have read enough  books and taken an interest in this part of the world...as i have some friends who are from Palestine...and my home town is twinned with Nablus in Palestine......this hatred of the Jews just does,nt stem from them being there....it goes back thousands of years..After world war 2,,,The Allies did,nt help matters any..all these displaced Jews, had nowhere to go...none of the countries from which they fled persecution wanted them back,..so in 1945 there were all these Jews with nowhere to go,.Britain did,nt want them, nor the USA, or Russia, almost every country world wide turned their backs,so in 1947 the British allowed them to occupy Palestine...and all the Palestinians were shunted into Gaza,...there are two sides to every coin....

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 01:55:52 pm »
Yes, but if you read history the Jews were there first. The Romans tried killing all the Jews there and burned down their temples. The ones who could flee did. Nowhere in history were the Arabs mentioned during those times. The Romans then took over that area. In Spain the Spanish Inquisition killed all the Jews and stole all their belongings too! Many converted to Catholism and practiced in secret.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 03:37:34 pm »
We have Jewish friends in Russia and they are even treated badly from Russian Govt because they aren't full Russian (even tho' their parents moved there and they were born there).  My adopted children from Russia are 1/2 Russian and 1/2 Kazakh and they were treated "less than" as well by the government even tho' they were born there - we had to fight to adopt them because the government preferred us to adopt "the more desirable Russian children" as was put to us.  Even more why we wanted to love the children who weren't wanted.  Took 6 years and 3 trips!  They are now fabulous successful young adults!!!

I wish we could all get along as well.........

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 05:55:08 pm »
Your children are very lucky! :)