Author Topic: frustrated! what the heck is this?!  (Read 3652 times)

Farmgal2012

• View Profile
frustrated! what the heck is this?!
« on: October 28, 2012, 06:15:23 pm »
I have searched everything from wool, cotton, etc. I know I have seen one somewhere, but what the heck is it?!   ???

mart

• View Profile
Re: frustrated! what the heck is this?!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 06:31:30 pm »
There is such a glare on that pic can`t see it well !! Looks sort of like a loom but need better pics !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 06:37:55 pm »
There is such a glare on that pic can`t see it well !! Looks sort of like a loom but need better pics !!

They must not plant spuds in Texas?

http://www.mainememory.net/artifact/12953/enlarge

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 07:00:35 pm »
LOL !!  You are right !! No commercial potato farmers and that thing is too big for us small farms !!  Never saw one of those !!   Couldn`t see it anyway in first pic !! Of course,, using these old glasses is no help !!  Forgot my good ones and left them at the feed store !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 10:56:34 pm »
Good call Rauville!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 11:14:47 pm »
Learn something new everyday!  Thanks for the education Rauville!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 05:20:42 am »
1st spud cutter I’ve ever seen a picture of.

I once seen a 1-horse potato “plow” at a farm auction in NY that would go “hand-in-hand” with that seed potato cutter.

The plow was probably 6 ft long, not including the “pull” bar with like a 16 in wide “cutter” bar on the leading edge. The best way to describe it is that it looked like an “open top” wood plane with a 4 ft long “shaker” screen on the trailing edge.

Thus, it would be pulled thru a row of potatoes, …. with the “cutter” bar at 6” or 8” deep, …. and all the dirt n’ potatoes would be “pushed” up over a “humpie” and down across the “shaker” screen with the dirt falling thru the “screen” and the potatoes rolling off the back end onto the top of the ground.   

I bid on it but someone wanted it more than I did. Of course, every year afterward that I planted potatoes I wasa wishing that I had bought it.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 06:12:05 am »
Maybe your wish has come true now.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 08:25:15 am »
Cogar, we grew up calling them diggers, plows or scufflers....depend s on who was talking about them.  Someone in the family had one like this one horse style.  Is this what you were talking about?

Then of course the 4 horse sucker was big and collected the potatoes as well.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 05:34:08 am »
KC, as best I remember it was like 2 1/2 feet wide, 6 feet long and maybe 14 inches high, no wheels and had an "A" frame pull-bar. Thus it was like a sled and was drug across the top of the ground. When outing the spuds ..... you would drop the blade down in the front and it would "plow" itself into the ground and the potatoes and dirt would come rolling up over the top of it with the dirt falling thru the metal screen and the potatoes onto the ground behind it.

HA, at least that is how I envisioned it working ..... and iffen it didn't .... it would have after I got thru modifying it.  ;D ;D

I once bid in an old JD mowing machine and someone said "What are you going to do with that piece of junk, it won't work behind your Ford Jubliee". I just said "We'll see".

HA, I mowed down lotsa grass, weeds and brush in the old pastures. Replaced lotsa cutter bar knives, too.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 05:18:42 pm »
cogar, my grandfather had an item like that and it was used to plow up all the fields and bring the rocks to the top so they could be removed....hmmmmm

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 07:45:31 am »
KC, that could very well have been its intended purposes, I just assumed it was for potatoes.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 11:35:40 am »
It would work the very same way.  The only difference would be how it would hit the potatoes.  I know the one listed above would lift the dirt and not bruise the taters.  Whereas the other one for the rocks would definitely have bruised/injured the potatoes....