Author Topic: As always another question from me :) Star Tobbaco  (Read 4303 times)

xmelax38

• View Profile
As always another question from me :) Star Tobbaco
« on: October 29, 2012, 02:07:58 pm »
Again, another question from me, ha ha. :) I wondered if anyone has heard of Star Tobacco? I was on ebay and saw signs from Star Tobacco and they wanted a lot of money for them.  I have something that is very small from Star Tobacco, in which I think is some kind of tobacco product - maybe a chewing tobacco or something.

I googled and cannot find out anything about Star Tobacco.  I found places that would not even be the same company with the Star name in it.  If anyone give me some info on the company, I would be grateful. :) I saw the signs were from the 20's (I think).

(I am now a Jr Member now, lol. I must type a lot in here).

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 02:11:31 pm by xmelax38 »
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: As always another question from me :) Star Tobbaco
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 03:48:51 pm »
Liggett and Myers introduced Star chewing tobacco in 1876. One of their trademarks were tin star shaped tags embedded on top of the "plug" to inform the buyer as to the brand. When you purchased tobacco from a merchant they would use a counter mounted cutter to cut off as many inches as you wanted from the plug. These tobacco cutters are often found bearing the "Star" brand name.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 05:03:42 pm »
Looks like you have a plug of the tobacco !!  It is paper wrapped isn`t it ??

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 06:58:48 pm »
Thank you very much for the information! That helps a lot. Yes, Mart, it is indeed paper wrapped. :)
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 07:04:37 pm »
Bet the collectors of Star would like to have the real thing instead of just a container !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 08:09:06 pm »
Definitely a collectible!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 12:06:51 am »
It's one of the few tobacco brands that has any value at all. Nice find.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 10:27:39 am »
Thank you! That makes me feel good about saving it! It actually put a smile on my face. :) I love it when I can find something unusual or something that people don't even notice is in a box of stuff at auctions.

At the last auction we went to, they said they just unpacked some boxes at the last minute that morning and didn't even have time to look through all of it. I found an unusual ambrotype photo in a box too, and if one of the collectors that was there buying up photos, would have seen it...he would have stayed and bought that box just for the photo. I also found an old vietnam war survival kit too. I don't want to keep it though and I found one exactly like it selling for $165 on an online military collectible website.

If I ever do decide to sell it (the tobacco) to a Collector, what do you think is a reasonable price (ball park)? For now, my husband and I want to put it in our locked frame of collectibles/gems that we have bought/won at auctions - we are not tobacco collectors though. We love antique items! We are going to build a room in the basement that we can put more items in/display them. Kind of like his dad has at his home.

I am usually unlucky. :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 12:11:43 pm by xmelax38 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 03:19:42 pm »
I wouldn`t know !!  I haven`t checked prices !!  Bet R&RR would know !!

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 03:19:17 pm »
Okay. :)I put it in a small case for now.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 05:48:05 pm »
May I suggest you vacuum pack this plug...if you have not already done so.
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 06:49:53 pm »
Okay, I take your suggestion and I will do that. Thanks for the help. :)

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 01:14:30 am »
I don't know for sure, but I would think in the neighborhood of $10-$20 for it. Not bad for a bit of paper.

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 03:58:27 pm »
Thank you! R&RR :)

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 04:36:22 pm »
You're quite welcome. Might as share the little knowledge I do have.