Author Topic: Prussian Pickelhaube  (Read 2122 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Prussian Pickelhaube
« on: November 04, 2012, 09:23:13 am »
      This was donated to us at work and thought I would try and dig up as much information as possible before posting.  Thought I would see if anyone here can give me a bit more insight.    So far we do know it is a Prussian Pickelhaube, and is real, and we assume it is Early Century WW1 Era.  It is made of a felt material and the inside is leather, we dug out a old newspaper from the inside that was used as a sweat liner. 

ironlord1963

• View Profile
Re: Prussian Pickelhaube
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 09:26:13 am »
      Here are 4 more pictures, also note the condition is excellent, when we first was given this we thought it had to be a replica, but we are sure it is not now.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 10:47:53 am »
Amazing!

No date on the newspaper?
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 11:43:29 am »
On the piece of newspaper top left it has "Tuesday Morning"...so i will assume that each page may be of each day of the week...e.g... Montag, Dienstag, Mittwoch, Donnerstag, Freitag, Samstag, Sonntag)..??
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 12:22:03 pm »
The helmet appears to be the Ersatz Model 1895 Filzhelme (felt helmet), issued in 1914.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 01:14:43 pm »
On the piece of newspaper top left it has "Tuesday Morning"...so i will assume that each page may be of each day of the week...e.g... Montag, Dienstag, Mittwoch, Donnerstag, Freitag, Samstag, Sonntag)..??

Or it could conceivably be a twice daily, i.e. morning and evening editions. Do you see any dates in any of the articles?
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 01:27:16 pm »
     No date on the newspaper, That was one of the first things we looked for when we took the paper out.  But will have to look a bit closer when I get to work on Tuesday.  Thanks Rauville That will give me a bit more to look into, I did notice that many of these that I seen did have Ersatz on the title.  I did manage to find out a bit more on the maker also, based on the tag.  Here is a clip of what I read.

Carl Gottlob Wilke, 1796-1875, founded his company in the town of Guben in 1822

He actually invented the process of making weather-resistant felt in 1850, and his company became the greatest hat maker in Germany

The condition is amazing, the only issue it seems to be missing it's chin Strap.  From what I can tell on value so far I should get use around $300.00, if it had it's chin strap and in this condition it would get maybe $700.00.   Thanks again for the help.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 07:01:43 pm »
"Antique Roadshow" just did a segment on this topic if you want to go to their website.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."