Author Topic: Memories Are All Thats Left  (Read 4361 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Memories Are All Thats Left
« on: November 04, 2012, 10:29:55 am »
Hi All.

We have our power and internet and are sharing our little place with friends who don't. A couple miles east of here, up and down the coast, people lost everything in many cases. I took this bullnose board from the Point Pleasant Beach Boardwalk. It is the first board heading south at Broadway. When returning to my car from fishing, early in the AM, I would always step on this board as thousands did all summer long. It will be rebuilt but not from wood. The last replacement section was a composite material and that is the only section that was not damaged. See the pics. I will post more if you want. There was sand as deep as two feet in the street. Boats were everywhere in yards, streets and even on the railroad bridge. The curb is lined with the contents of flooded homes.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Memories Are All Thats Left
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 10:46:34 am »
Tragic about the boardwalk. Glad you're still with us, though. Good on you for helping those who lost everything!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 10:54:09 am »
Sure glad to see you back here !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 06:56:19 pm »
Tragic the whole thing. Glad your okay! Most important!
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 12:43:40 am »
Our prayers are with everyone!  So GLAD you are safe and able to extend help to others!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 06:47:27 am »
Years from now the pictures and memories will be the only indication of what used to be and what happened to it all. I'm sure though that the strongest and longest lasting memories will be those of how neighbors helped neighbors, strangers helped strangers and how the world watched and wept for people they'd never met.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 11:07:16 am »
Thanks for your heartfelt concerns. People are helping each other and our Governor has been an exceptional leader. There will always be the few that cut the gas lines or pose as charities but 99.9 percent of the people have been awesome.
Here is a link that tells the story. The photos of Brick are from the town where I live. Seaside Heights is where everyone went as a teen and young adult. The pictures do not show the personal devastation where whole houses floated away or all of a persons belongings are on the curb. But do you really want to see that kind of suffering? I wish I hadn't. I can't even clear my mind to get back to writing. I don't even know if my clients are still in existence.
http://www.heavy.com/news/2012/10/hurricane-sandy-nj-photos-best-jersey-shore-flooding-damage/

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 11:18:16 am »
Where to begin!...never again will i moan about,the weather or how bad a winter we,re having, over here..all what we have,.....is paled into insignificance, compared to these graphic images..
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 11:42:52 am »
OMG!!!   I'm proud to say that some of my coworkers here in Missouri have been deployed to New Jersey. But where do you start??
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 02:17:39 pm »
Many thanks to those from Missouri and all over that took their skills to the road to help out. A crew from Texas got our temporary guests back up today. I have seen teams from Detroit and Alabama as well.
Now we have a Nor'easter arriving here on Wednesday. Maybe it will go out to sea. We do not need three to six more inches of rain and another storm surge. We'll be OK.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 03:34:52 pm »
frogpatch, my friend finally got in her Ventor house on Sunday. She lives beach block. Say no more. To add insult to injury the raw sewage pipes emptied in her basement. She has to throw everything out. Now she has a large crack in her basement floor and wall.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 04:40:42 pm »
You must mean Ventnor, not to be a proof reader. They got slammed pretty hard too down there. Basement cracks can be repaired but the key is finding the right contractor. Just slapping concrete or epoxy on it will not work. Here is a link to some webpages I wrote about sealing basement cracks. I am not an expert but the people I wrote the web pages for are and they provided the facts. They are in Mass but conditions are similar. Have them read the info and look for a contractor who will do a permanent fix. After the flooding the next flood will be CON tractors. Beware.
http://www.donerightservices.net/leak/repair/water-leaks.aspx

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 06:57:34 pm »
Having been raised in the building/construction business I can only tell everyone,, never,never,never pay up front for repairs and check with at least two or three contractors for anything major !!   Cons are just waiting to pounce in a situation like this !!  Best way to find out who is good in your area is to call the local hardware/home improvment stores and ask !!  Most all reputable contractors will have an account in order to get the builders discount !!  Don`t just hire some guy that knocks at the door !!  But if you do,,, and I know some will,,,pay only on completion of the job to your satisfaction !!  Only exception is major projects can be split with 1/3 up front,, 1/3 halfway,, and remainder when job is done !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 07:35:37 pm »
When my husband did residental work ,and still does occasionally, a third up front for material, a third in the middle and the rest at the end, Lol, frogpatch, I didn't see it. I had a house in Margate for 15 years. I just sold it in August. It sold in 3 weeks. It's different for my friend and myself. It's a second home, as are a lot of the homes in some shore towns. Not that it's not terrible it is, but people still have places to live. But, we were also effected in Abington and Lower Moreland Pa. My friend just got her eletric back in Pa. and finally saw her hose in Ventnor for the first time Sunday. I know there were people in Hoboken who were devasted in both homes.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 07:18:14 am »
I went to Margate ,once for my holiday,s...it was in the summer of 76...hot as hell...it was.....it was a great place...but what let it down was that English pish they call beer!!.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,