Author Topic: What is this thing!? Please help me identify and value this one...  (Read 1564 times)

stixmagill

• View Profile
Recently aquired from my parents and it has always been a favorite of mine.  The top is pinned closed.  With the pin removed, you can swing the door open to access....yarn???  We have always kept yarn in it (even though no one has knitted for 40 years or more).  There is a latice that is damaged but still with the table.  There are hinges(?) on the inside so maybe there was a kickstand to keep it propped open????

I would love tho know more about it and a general value as well.  Thank you in advance!

mart

• View Profile
Re: What is this thing!? Please help me identify and value this one...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 09:17:18 pm »
From the style and since it is oak with modern hinges I would say its mid century or later !! Have you looked under it for a makers name ?? Very unique style but I doubt that yarn is what it was intended for !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 06:05:03 pm »
It is where you stuff your children when they misbehave!  :o  Sorry I couldn't pass up the opportunity for a joke! I'm not sure of the purpose, but I agree that the hardware looks mass manufactured. This might look really neat with a silk ivy plant down in the bottom of it or a low wattage light.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 06:20:41 pm »
Darn,, Why didn`t I think of that ?? Is it for sale ?? I have a 4 year old great-grandaughter,,,, LOL !!!
Actually I think Tales is right,, late 60`s and 70`s silk flowers were the rage in decorating,,, could be something like that !! Or light or ,,, well who knows !!  If there is a makers name that could affect value so will wait and see if there is !! Would like to see the inside without the yarn in it !!  Could be a clue there !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 06:34:22 pm »
This looks very Retro...50,s/60,s..reminds me of a cross kettledrum/lobster pot....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 07:58:57 pm »
Just reminds me of "Baker" furniture. I can't find it yet. I have some from my grandmother.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 09:26:31 pm »
Cute little Sweeney Todd table !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "