Author Topic: Pocket Watch  (Read 2631 times)

rsdntbplr

• View Profile
Pocket Watch
« on: November 06, 2012, 09:57:54 am »
My granddad passed away on the 26th October, and at the funeral I was given a pocket watch he'd left to me. It was given to him by his granddad, and was awarded to his granddad by his company for 35 years of service in 1933.

I'm not going to sell it, I want to keep it in the family. However I am intrigued at the value of the watch and perhaps some history.

On the casing (First door to open, on the inside) are the following markings: R&S  |  9  |  J  |  375  | Rotherhams  |  375  | An anchor  |  57003

On the second door are the following markings (once again on the underside - the markings on the top of the second door are about the watch being awarded): R&S and once again 57003.

When it comes to the sheilding of the components with the screws and speed control of the ticket, the following engravings are present: Swiss Made  | 17 Jewels |  245481  and what seems a logo with and 'R' and an 'S' with what looks like a pitchfork between the 'R' and 'S'.

Pictures below

Any information will be hugely appreciated :D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket Watch
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 11:20:57 am »
the 375...makes it 9ct gold.if you look at the chain see if each individual link is stamped with 375,as you are in the UK...providing the chain is also stamped,then value is going to be quite high,the anchor  is a Birmingham assay mark..Rotherhams is the maker....value will be £400/500+
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:33:55 am by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 06:51:13 pm »
Rotherhams & Sons made the case but they didn`t make the watches !! Need to look at the inside for a watchmakers name !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 07:43:44 pm »
What is the fob made of? Is that gold also?
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 01:37:03 am »
Rotherhams & Sons made the case but they didn`t make the watches !! Need to look at the inside for a watchmakers name !!
Do you think I came up the Clyde on a Banana boat....of course they did,nt make the watch, Rotherhams are English...not Swiss!!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 04:03:23 am »
........ value will be £400/500+

Huuummmm, ..... would that be collector value or spot gold price?  ;D ;D ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 10:21:32 am »
Person that posted the question might not know that Bigwull !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 08:44:23 am »
I,d hope he would ,cos after all, he/she is in the UK...and the whole world knows that the Swiss are only good at certain things...like making watches, pointy chocolate,...and hiding other peoples money....whereas  the English....well,...they think their good at,....everything.....and as for us Scots and half Scots.....we,re great at winding up the English.....and Weegie,s and Edinbuggers...in that order....and..befor e anyone says,...we,re also crap at football,...... ;D ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 11:12:49 am »
LOL !!  I will take your word for it !!

rsdntbplr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 04:54:52 am »
I,d hope he would ,cos after all, he/she is in the UK...and the whole world knows that the Swiss are only good at certain things...like making watches, pointy chocolate,...and hiding other peoples money....whereas  the English....well,...they think their good at,....everything.....and as for us Scots and half Scots.....we,re great at winding up the English.....and Weegie,s and Edinbuggers...in that order....and..befor e anyone says,...we,re also crap at football,...... ;D ;D

Oh don't get me wrong haha. I didn't think the watch was made by Rotherhams! I just can't find a company name on the actual watch, unless it's on the inside, but I'm not unscrewing it. Only thing on the inside is the R, pitchfork, S  (picture below).

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 08:56:14 am »
I don't know how accurate this information is, but it implies that Rotherhams may have had their own Swiss factory in the 1920's. (Scroll down to the lower third of the page.)

http://vintagewatchstraps.com/casemarks.html