Author Topic: Interesting Chairs  (Read 3771 times)

WhatRThese

• View Profile
Interesting Chairs
« on: November 08, 2012, 03:50:25 pm »
Hello All,

I came across this forum today and hope that I could get some answers that my family has been asking for years. 

Background:
The chairs were purchased from an auction on the east cost roughly 30 years ago.  My family is trying to find out any information possible on these.  We would like to know time era and value.  It may be hard to see in the pictures but there is damage to both of them.  We would like to get them refurbished but worry about losing value.  If they are truly valuable then refurbishing is out of the question.  A while back we heard that the chairs were not valuable however the emblems on them were.  Any help would be appreciated. 

I have added photos via the attached option.  If they do not post then I will add them the way the forum suggest (photobucket) once i get home. 

Thank you for any help you may be able to give.

Jason

mart

• View Profile
Re: Interesting Chairs
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 04:09:59 pm »
Ok !!  Few questions,, how did the auction have them listed or did they give any info about them ??? Quite honestly, it makes no sense that an emblem on a chair cover would be worth something but the chair is not,, who said this and why would they think so !! If the cover is original would be a package deal !!  Can you take a close up of the emblems and the trim on the sides and also of the underside of the chairs !! 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 04:23:04 pm by mart »

WhatRThese

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 04:42:33 pm »
They were covered in a ugly cover.  They were purchased because the auction stalled and no one would bid on them.  When the covers came off (at home) the chairs were revealed.  The person who meantioned this had no credintials and very little experience.  The bottom of the chairs had a finishing matiral covering them, however during the move they were torn off.  There is a Tag under there (looks dated) that says Remade and Renovated by Manno Upholstering, Inc. 304 East 54th St. New York New York.  Has a Date Starilized but there is no print.  I have tried to contact the store and or the Name of the person who owned them. with no luck.  I can take some more pictures tonight and post later.

Thanks,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 08:14:03 pm »
Good !! I tried enlarging the one you have here but doesn`t show enough detail !! Chairs appear to be Jacobean Revival Throne Style armchairs !! Called that simply because of the high back and very straight lines !! They are not particularly comfortable but years ago some attire the ladies wore required them to sit very straight !!  These are not as heavily carved and lighter wood as most were so probably later in date but will wait to see underside and more detail !!  Am I understanding correctly that the ugly cover was on top of this one ??  Is this cover a velvet material ??
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:22:36 pm by mart »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 11:26:00 pm »
this symbol on the first chair....is if i am not mistaken....a Fasces....which is an ancient Roman symbol, that was adopted by Benito Mussolini....it was carried by the Lictors..during Roman times....I find ..that it pops up in the strangest of places...where i would least expect it.....a bit like the swastika....its assocciated with one thing....but pops up all the time...on a totally different thing....oops i,m wandering....back to this fasces....you can see this on Lincolns Statue in Washington....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 11:30:43 pm »
Good !! I tried enlarging the one you have here but doesn`t show enough detail !! Chairs appear to be Jacobean Revival Throne Style armchairs !! Called that simply because of the high back and very straight lines !! They are not particularly comfortable but years ago some attire the ladies wore required them to sit very straight !!  These are not as heavily carved and lighter wood as most were so probably later in date but will wait to see underside and more detail !!  Am I understanding correctly that the ugly cover was on top of this one ??  Is this cover a velvet material ??
...."Am I understanding correctly that the ugly cover was on top of this one".... You are Correct Mart.....

Wullie the Muffin Man..... ;D ;D ;D

WhatRThese

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 11:45:41 pm »
Here are some more detailed photos.  I hope they help, as for the covers that were on the chairs they were just a corduroy type cover.  What you see in the photo is the actual chair.  Materiel is a red velvet.  Please let me know if there are any further questions I can try to answer.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 11:55:25 pm »
What new pics??.....and can you confirm or not...."what i have posted regarding the symbol,on the first chair is....help is a two way thing......

WhatRThese

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 12:03:05 am »
Bigwull:  I am trying to load the pics they are freezing.  The symbol you referenced "fasces" does look similar to that on one of the chairs.  i will get better pictures on here as soon as I can.

WhatRThese

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 12:04:57 am »
more pictures.

WhatRThese

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 12:07:17 am »
last two pictures.  BTW the carvings that were in the previous photo are on the tops of the chairs.  They are not on the bottom of the legs, just an FYI.

Sorry if i missed anyones questions.  I will try to reread the comments again.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 01:06:57 am »
Bigwull:  I am trying to load the pics they are freezing.  The symbol you referenced "fasces" does look similar to that on one of the chairs.  i will get better pictures on here as soon as I can.
...."The symbol you referenced "fasces" does look similar".....No Similar about it...it is the "Fasces"
from what i have seen so far,regarding the construction of these chairs...makes me believe they have good value....furthermor e...the fact that someone in the past...had these covered with a corduroy.material,to in effect "hide" the original covering....is saying to me...this may have been done...because of this "Fasces"..because ..like the swastika...there are some people that associate the Fasces....with Facism...and although it was adopted as a fascist symbol....it was anything but....i think there is more to these chairs than meets the eye....very Interesting....."Do Not...under any circumstance....hav e these chairs refurbished....

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 05:31:58 am »
These chairs look to be early 20th century oak, and the crest/fasces/coat of arms of course looks institutional/organizational. Perhaps Benito repurposed them, but I think they were made before the rise of fascism.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 07:11:16 am »
These chairs look to be early 20th century oak, and the crest/fasces/coat of arms of course looks institutional/organizational. Perhaps Benito repurposed them, but I think they were made before the rise of fascism.
what part of my post did you not grasp....i said this symbol was Roman...and only used Mussolini...as a comparison...in case some people did,nt know what it stood for.....a bit like swastika,s only being "Nazi"....and ...if you think about it...what a coincidence...that both Fascism and Nazism...both adopted a symbol that was once used by the Romans....

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 08:17:10 am »
I lost interest in your posts when I realized how incredibly rude you can be.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford