Author Topic: What would you call this, a cake box? A pie carrier? A bread box?  (Read 5409 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
I picked up this neat little tin 'cake box'  on Craigslist today. At least I think you would call this a cake box! This one was painted back in the 1970's when doing that kind of thing was in. If I were to strip it, it appears that it is plain black 'Japanned' metal underneath and would not be very attractive. I figured what the heck, it's kinda nice this way. I got it for $25 on Craigslist and it looks cute tucked away under the possum belly baker's cabinet. It is in quite good shape and just what I need for when I'm taking a pie from here to there. This one has two wire shelves inside so you can carry two pies. A bit of surface rust, but nothing serious. No dents to speak of and still very useable. Love those functional kitchen antiques!

So my questions are...

What would you call it? I see them called a cake box, cake carrier, bread box, pie box, pie carrier or pie safe.

How old is it? 1920's or 30's perhaps?

Antiqueaholic in recovery

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: What would you call this, a cake box? A pie carrier? A bread box?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 05:49:44 pm »
Is that a hole in the bottom?..if it is, i,m sure this is for keeping pies warm...or it could be used as an impromptu oven.if this was placed above a heat source....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 05:55:11 pm »
Ahhh!! I had not thought of that. Yes, not only is the bottom open, but the lower rack has what I now think must be a heat shield! This may be a warmer then. Let me get you a better pic of the heat shield thing. Back in a sec.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 06:01:06 pm »
Here is a closer one of the interior with what may be a deflector shield in the lower rack. There are four thumbprint shaped vents on the sides.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 06:06:57 pm »
Check out this one Bigwull, this might actually be a steamer that is missing a lower pan!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/108405983/antique-swartzbaugh-conservo-pie-cake

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 06:16:29 pm »
No wait a sec, you wouldn't need the deflector if there was a pan of water there. I think you nailed it Bigwull, it looks like it has got to be for keeping things warm.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 06:23:08 pm »
I found a similar one listed as a stove top warming oven. It looks like you would set this on the top of a wood burning stove! How cool! This one has a glass door, but the rest of it is pretty much the same, and it has the same deflector shield in the lower rack.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/52082696/antique-tin-glass-front-stove-top-oven

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 06:26:17 pm »
Here is one that is much larger, was made in 1920, again with a glass door. This one is still in use:

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 07:18:29 pm »
Okay can't resist the old saying...  "it's bigger than a bread box!"

We used to have one - great for bread. AKA Stove-Top Oven,  Bread Oven or Warming box!  Sits atop the stove like Wullie said!  They usually had the inset for the bottom with them.  Then you could take to the table or buffet to stay warm!  Some people also refer to them as a pie safe!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920s-BOSS-OVEN-for-KEROSENE-WOOD-STOVE-antique-vintage-camping-dutch-pie-safe-/221149135434?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337d84024a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-STOVE-TOP-BREAD-OVEN-WITH-WINDOW-AND-THERMOMETER-Item-6105-/271099970862?pt=Folk_Art&hash=item3f1ed1452e

ANTIQUE STOVE TOP BREAD OVEN WITH WINDOW AND THERMOMETER Item #6105
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-STOVE-TOP-BREAD-OVEN-WITH-WINDOW-AND-THERMOMETER-Item-6105-/271099970862?pt=Folk_Art&hash=item3f1ed1452e
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:27:54 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 07:29:39 pm »
By-the-way Talesof....that is a gorgeous box.  Never seen a red one...have seen decaled in black, white and gray!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 07:54:26 pm »
My folks had one of these we'd take out to 'cabin' camp & use atop the pot-belly .

Mom called these hobo-ovens (had a handle atop) .

If you're gonna use for to carry/store foods , maybe a lead-test might be in order (just sayin' bcuz I care &/or bcuz am a 'pita') ?

Nice folksy theme & HD latch hardware , talesof !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 07:55:56 pm »
Nice folk art effect! I'd say 1920s is about right, based on the door (!). The reason I say that is that it is almost identical to doors used for coal chutes on houses in my 1920s neighborhood here in Missouri.  :D
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 08:14:44 pm »
This one used to be black, the red is painted on. The guy I bought it from said that his wife had bought it from an artist on the east coast who sold painted antiques in the 1970's (when that was regarded as OK to do!) He showed me a second piece he had that was done by the same artist. It was a wooden footstool on rockers, to use with a rocking chair. She had painted it in a Pennsylvania Dutch style. He said that they bought it when they lived back east in the 70's, then his wife passed away and it had been sitting in a box for many years, ever since he had moved to California. He said he was glad that it was going to someone who could used it for pies and asked me to email him my pie recipes!

I think I would melt the paint if I tried to put it on a wood stove now. But I like it, it makes a cute little pie safe/carrier and it fits right in with the rest of the kitchen. I could cut a little removable metal bottom plate for it, but it probably doesn't need it.

I do have a lead test kit. There are no soldered seams, it's all folded over metal, but I always like to test anything that might come into contact with food and was planning to do that. I will also have any pies, cakes etc in a dish with foil anyway.  :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 08:18:52 pm »
Neat find Tales !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 10:07:21 pm »
Tales it looks Amish. The man in the art work has a big black hat, and the hearts are common to Amish.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."