Author Topic: Ger Sil Marking on Bone Handled Carving Set  (Read 2802 times)

GlobalShoutTreasures

• View Profile
Ger Sil Marking on Bone Handled Carving Set
« on: November 11, 2012, 12:05:53 pm »
Hello - I'm new to the forum. I joined because I found some useful information via a Google search, and I thought someone might have some feedback on a piece I just picked up. It's a 3-piece carving set with "bone" handles, and the base of the knife is marked with "GER SIL," which I've found on a post on this forum means "German Silver". I read that German Silver refers to some sort of silver plate, not sterling. First, is that correct? Second, is there a way to tell from looking what kind of bone the handles are made from? (The knife handle is significantly lighter in color than the other two.) Third, does anyone have any clue how old these pieces could be or where they're from? The "GER SIL" mark is the only one. They show a great deal of wear.

I'm new to the antique/collectible world, and I've learned a lot, but I'd really appreciate a little direction, if anyone knows anything! Thanks!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Ger Sil Marking on Bone Handled Carving Set
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 12:17:13 pm »
      Nice set of Stag Horn with Nickle Silver.  German Silver is Nickle silver, not exactly Silverplate.  German Silver was made and used as a base metal for silverplate, so when the plate worn away it would still have a silver tone, before that copper was the base metal and when the plate was gone you would see Copper.  Anyway these are mostly refered as Stag Horn. As for age just Nickle silver dates these to early century at most, I would gamble more like Mid or Early Late Century in date.  Are there any other markes like Soligen etc.?  Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 12:19:07 pm by ironlord1963 »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 12:20:29 pm »
    I forgot to say look real close at the pomil and ring it is not uncommon for these to be Sterling.

GlobalShoutTreasures

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 12:34:21 pm »
So you think this is from the early 1900's? I looked pretty close, and that was the only mark I could find anywhere. When you say "pomil," is that the top ring where the blades meet the handle? Any idea why one handle would be so much lighter than the others or how much would something like this be priced at? Also, if it's "German silver," does that mean it was made in Germany?

Thank you so much for your feedback on this - I'm still learning but fascinated by all of this.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 12:44:59 pm »
     Earliest would be early 1900's, but I would actually guess a bit later.  Lots of these was made in Germany, but German Silver does not alway mean that.  This is why I asked about Solien, that would mean Germany or rather a very popular region in Germany that was famous for their cutlery.  As for value You are looking at around $70.00 to $100.00  With out knowing more like actual age and Maker.  Yes the Pomil (not sure if I spelled it right) the end of the handle and the ring are sometimes made with Sterling, not much to add value, but a little.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 12:47:43 pm »
   O.k. I just looked a bit closer to the second picture, I see the Pomil is what is marked Ger Sil.  so it is all german silver.  Forget the Sterling remark  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 01:57:51 pm »
The difference in color is likely from use !!  The outer part of the horn (dark part) will wear away over the years !! Your set has a steel or sharpener of sorts and since it would be used the least it is still intact,, the fork shows some of the dark but also shows the lighter part under that,, the knife was just used the most out of the set and when cutting more pressure from the hands of the person caused the most wear !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 02:12:22 pm »
So you think this is from the early 1900's? I looked pretty close, and that was the only mark I could find anywhere. When you say "pomil," is that the top ring where the blades meet the handle? Any idea why one handle would be so much lighter than the others or how much would something like this be priced at? Also, if it's "German silver," does that mean it was made in Germany?

Thank you so much for your feedback on this - I'm still learning but fascinated by all of this.
The "Pommel"...is at the end of the handle....not where the handle meets the blade.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,