Author Topic: Asian camphor Chest?  (Read 2144 times)

kara_g6

• View Profile
Asian camphor Chest?
« on: November 13, 2012, 05:23:55 pm »
I have recently started cleaning out the storage room. Yikes! I had forgotten I had this. My mother had bought this chest in her early teens at a garage sale I believe. I am having a lot of trouble finding information on it. I have no knowledge of trunks at all. I believe it is an Asian camphor chest? I know it is old. There are no dates that I can find on the trunk. I would love to know a way to find out how old it is, where it might have come from,  and what the value might be. Online I have found camphor trunks valuing anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand. I guess if I was able to find out more about the trunk (date, Origin) that would be great! :)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: Asian camphor Chest?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 07:30:44 pm »
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/eastlakes/antiques-collectables/chinese-camphor-chest/1008050198

This box is $225.00, but I saw another similar one as yours for $325.00. You can pop this topic in google images and see the assortment of boxes.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

kara_g6

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 07:43:36 pm »
Thank you so much for looking into this! Did you see this same one? If so where? That would tell me so much information about the one I have :). I spent all day on Google searching, found many similar, but not this one :(.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 07:54:04 pm »
The chances of you finding an exact copy of yours....is almost nil.I bought one in 1989...measuring 1000mm x 575mm x 600mm...for £150 and have never come across another...that,s exactly like mine...i,ve seen similar one,s same size...but never identical...I just enjoy it for what it is....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

kara_g6

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 07:57:05 pm »
I'm beginning to except that I might not see another just like it. I just wish I knew how to find out where it came from and what time era? I would love to know more about it. :)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 01:14:04 pm »
If you go over your chest with a magnifying glass,there should be a signature somewhere...it will most likely be incorporated into the carving...or you can contact these people and send them good pics,and they might be able to help date yours...its worth a try....

http://en.cfhot.com/product/1058.htm
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,