Author Topic: any ideas what these are??  (Read 2951 times)

womble

• View Profile
any ideas what these are??
« on: November 20, 2012, 11:06:21 am »
picked these up a few weeks back, not sure whether they are brass or some kind of bronze. wondered if anyone and any ideas of age? what material? approx value?? they are approx 30cm tall

mart

• View Profile
Re: any ideas what these are??
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 12:05:31 pm »
Is there anything on the underside ??  Look carefully around where the feet are and below !!  Also a pic of the underside would help !!

womble

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 12:12:15 pm »
no it doesnt look like it although it looks a more yellow brass like color, the top or the candlestick unscrews if that helps. rest of it is one piece

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 12:22:57 pm »
Most all brass items unscrew !! I think its brass with a patina added for a fake bronze look !! This was pretty popular in the early 1900`s !!  They are nice !! What did you pay for them ??

womble

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 01:56:37 pm »
Paid £10  GBP any idea what they would be worth??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 02:46:20 pm »
what are the dimensions of the pieces in height/width?   weight?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 03:20:24 pm »
30 cm KC  So about a foot tall !!   I would guess about $40. for the pair as value !! None I found were selling !! Didn`t find any like these though !!

womble

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 04:25:44 pm »
Found this on eBay. Not a great deal of information. They look exactly like the ones I have. Would this be an accurate valuation? Or does anyone know and more information about these candlesticks? Thanks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181029784812

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 04:50:26 pm »
If they sell for $100. it will surprise me !!  Thats the thing about ebay,, you can ask whatever you want,,,getting it is totally different,, thats why the listing has a "Make Offer" added !!  If they are bronze,, they are unsigned so cannot be attributed to an artist, and even though they are different from what is usually seen,  they are not unique enough to bring even close to that here in the U.S. in my opinion !!  You are in the Uk are you not ??  They may sell higher there but it would still surprise me if it did !!  The ones on ebay are listed for a month,,click to watch this auction and at the end you will know what they bring !!
Bigwull may know about what they would bring in the UK !! 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 06:30:51 am »
From experience...it does not matter one bit what you think your candlesticks might be worth...or that you have seen these one,s in the US...up for sale at over $400....i doubt if they will get a 1/4 of that....its a buyers market...and unless your sticks have a well known sculptors name...then you ,ll be lucky if you get anywhere near what you hope for,......we recently got a Limited Edition Capodimonte...i found one that had sold in the US in 2009 for $720...this one we found was the genuine article...it was numbered it,came as part of a job lot..and it cost us around £5....i put it on ebay last week...and it made £77...so for our £5 investment,take off ebay fees...we made a £67 profit...if i could make a £67 profit on everything i buy..for  £5 then...i,d take it all day long...and not worry...what it "might"..be worth...see link to our cheapo ornament...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160924400385?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649

I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 08:59:13 pm »
Bigwull ebaying is all about finding them key words and putting them in the Title when you know
you have something of value its critical to have them in place to get the best price possible.

Im sure you could have got a MUCH better price on your Capodimonte had you used the right key words
in your Title.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 09:44:12 pm »
i,m not crying...i made a profit of £67...on a £5 investment...like i said..i,d take that kind of profit all day long....i,m not a greedy man...and anyway...i,ve always classed capo,s as the ugliest ornaments on the planet....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 06:45:22 am »
[...i,ve always classed capo,s as the ugliest ornaments on the planet....
[/quote]

You've got that right! :D
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford