Author Topic: Another Doll in my Life  (Read 2157 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Another Doll in my Life
« on: November 21, 2012, 08:46:07 pm »
     After the sweet and sour situation with my amazing doll at work, I had another doll, but this time she is mine  ;).    Anyway, I went to another goodwill the other day and in the collectible dept I found her with just a $9.99 price on her, of course with my worker Discount and a 25% atta boy coupon in my pocket, I got her for much less.  Anyway,  She appears to be a China Low Brow Doll, but her body is much different then what I have seen.  Instead of the Rag body, her body is made of what appears to be like a coated Canvas material, pretty sure she is not leather.  Her leg are bendable and much different then I have seen before.  Thus far I think she is a mid century repo base on the head, and her body almost seems Folk art, as if someone made that body themselves.  I can find no marks, may be something under the body on the chest part of the head, but can't get there without damage to the doll.  I forgot to measure her, but she about standard size for a Low Brow Doll.  Note her hands are of really poor quality, and the stiching is a bit poor and by no means machined or mass produced.  Anyway I have not got to looking into her yet, and hope someone may shine a bit more on her for all of us here on the forum.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
Re: Another Doll in my Life
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 08:48:15 pm »
    Here is three more pictures for you to enjoy.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 02:27:57 am »
What a prize.  Haven't seen but 2 of these.  They are not as common!

Looks to be in great condition!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 12:06:38 pm »
I dont know one doll from another but I can tell that it is not mid century,, or if it is its by an old world craftsman !! Excellent find !!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 07:58:58 pm »
     Just a update on what I have gathered thus far.  First the head is a Early Mid Century one, usually considered Repo.  Body is leather it is call Gusseted Leather, have not got as far as finding out about this yet.  These are considered German in orgin, and the leader was Kestner.  They made these in the height of the Low Brow Dolls in the Late 19th century.  Now what I have not worked out yet is These bodies when they show on the net are considered Late 19th century, but the head if for sure much later.  Could be one made later, possible Kestner, but no proof, or someone married a later head on a old body.    Thus far I have to say $50.00 top value so far based on Ebay sales of this style, If I can establish it being a Kestner Body a bit more maybe.  Anyway just a little update.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 09:00:12 pm »
I used to refer to those imitation kidskin bodies as "Kidaline" type, made from an oilcloth fabric. Most had a paper sticker affixed that stated "Washable", sometimes with the trade name.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-German-Washable-Doll-Body-Needs-its-head-/320928189632?nma=true&si=Ha7m7PxIDLswIvweECAtjPVXcrs%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 10:24:04 pm »
She is lovely, and you got a great deal! I love the jointed body!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 10:10:59 am »
Thanks Rauville....my mind just couldn't remember "oilcloth"...  My mother still raves about oilcloth and is always yearning for the days when it was more accessible.  (original was made with linseed oil and these days what is touted as oilcloth is pvc covered fabric.  You can still find original oilcloth but it is hard.)

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!