Author Topic: Looking for pulls for an old buffet  (Read 2740 times)

laneycg

• View Profile
Looking for pulls for an old buffet
« on: November 24, 2012, 02:49:16 pm »
I have a Veneer Kitchen Buffet and matching China Cabinet from my great grandmother. I don’t know if it is worth anything, but I love it. Some of the old pulls have been lost over the years. I am looking to replace them. Do you know where I can find them? I have searched the internet but cannot find exactly what I’m looking for. I have attached a picture of the buffet with a close up of the pulls.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for pulls for an old buffet
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 03:23:04 pm »
I hate to say this, but your chances of finding matching handles...is very slim...however..if you do find them...be sure to pick some lottery numbers at the same time....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 06:53:23 pm »
Look on ebay for 30`s era buffet pulls !!  That would be your best bet !! However finding that particular one would be like finding a needle in the haystack !!  I would look for a similar style with enough to replace them all !!  Save the ones you take off since they were original when your family bought it !!  Perhaps you could find the original ones eventually but at least you could use it in the meantime !!  Be sure and measure the screw holes before you buy any replacements !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 02:14:00 pm »
Yes, that is a tall order, I've never seen pulls exactly like that. It is going to take a lot of searching to find matching ones, but I would start with Ebay. If you can find the name of the cabinet maker somewhere on the back or bottom, I would try running google searches to find the pulls by the maker name.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 02:20:16 am »
I agree, try ebay and etsy! Be sure to try all kinds of search terms such as:
1930s handles
1930s drawer pulls
art deco pulls
art deco handles
vintage dresser handles etc etc
You may have to search and search for awhile, who knows how long, but you may surprise yourself and find them! Persistence pays off. Sometimes...

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 02:23:13 am »
I went to ebay and searched for "art deco handles" and I thought the first result was a perfect match. Man, I was disappointed when it wasn't! But hey, it's close so maybe it won't be so hard after all.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-ART-DECO-MARBLIZED-BUTTERSCOTCH-BAKELITE-DRAWER-PULL-HANDLES-PROJECTS-CRAFTS-/181029832146?pt=Architectural_Garden&hash=item2a263805d2
Oh, and that yellow is called "bakelite" so be sure to type that in searches, too!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 04:20:02 am »
Now everytime I look at the posted picture of that "pull" ...... I keep thinking it was made for a kitchen cabinet ...... and thus I don't believe they are original to that buffet.

They just don't look right on that buffet and I believe someone replaced the originals.

I know that if I was refinishing that buffet ........ those pulls would be gone.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 08:09:42 am »
Found a buffet on ebay almost identical to this !!  It had same style handles but made of wood !!  Have to go back and find it again !!