Author Topic: Upholstered chair  (Read 3861 times)

suesyl

• View Profile
Upholstered chair
« on: November 29, 2012, 09:25:48 am »
This chair was left in the house we bought. I would guess it is all original. The cushion is a little saggy, but otherwise it is in good condition, no tears or wearing. Though surely it would have been whiter in color. Any age or value information? We are in the mid west.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Upholstered chair
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 11:13:28 am »
looks like a Victorian fireside chair...circa late 19th century...value over here in UK...£100/£250
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

suesyl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 01:35:35 pm »
Thanks Bigwull for the information. I really like the look of it. I would have to open a seam to stuff the seat cushion, should I do that? There is no sag to the springs.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 03:20:14 pm »
40`s,, Looks like modified Queen Anne armchair !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 03:26:32 pm »
Yeah 40s looks about right.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

suesyl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 05:20:52 pm »
'40s sounds like it could be right from the other things in the house, though there are some older pieces. Should I rip a seam to stuff the cushion or leave well enough alone? Does it have much value?

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 06:13:16 pm »
Should I rip a seam to stuff the cushion: I wouldn't great looking chair i love the shell back design

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 06:45:29 pm »
The style of upholstery is a 40s style but I have a little issue with the legs. That cabriole style looks earlier than the style of upholstery making me think there may be a different style chair beneath. Years ago I used to find updated pieces that held an older piece beneath. Just a guess. That deep curve along the bottom front looks like an older shape too.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 06:49:03 pm »
I changed my mind. When I blew up the arm I can see that the finished piece ends at the wrist where it goes into the upholstery.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 07:25:44 pm »
If you want to keep it ( they are pretty comfortable) you might be able to cut the stitching at the back and add poly foam to the interior of the cushion !! They usually have a solid sheet type foam or similar as the top layer so it doesn`t look lumpy !!   Hand stitch it back !!   I would rather pay a few dollars to an upholstery shop and have it done right !!  Getting it sewn back properly is the pits !! 

suesyl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 10:31:52 am »
I will take some closer pictures today or tomorrow. Should I clean the upholstery? There are spots on the bottom of the cushion. I really like the lines of the chair too.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 10:44:51 am »
Yes by all means clean it. Then sit down and enjoy!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 10:45:02 am »
Won`t hurt to clean it !!  Get some carpet/upholstery spray and treat each spot,, work the cleaner in with a toothbrush !! Then steam clean if you have a machine or use a spray foam cleaner and do it by hand !!  Let it dry well and vacuum to get dust out !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 05:17:52 pm »
Can you just flip the cushion over?

Needs a good cleaning.  Very nice condition other than proof that lots of derrières have sat in it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 07:05:56 pm »
'40s sounds like it could be right from the other things in the house, though there are some older pieces. Should I rip a seam to stuff the cushion or leave well enough alone? Does it have much value?

Forgot to say,, very ittle value,,,about $35. $40. !!  But still its a comfotable older chair, in pretty good shape and I could see it in a small sitting area or corner of a room with a nice older end table and vintage lamp !! Look for a footstool to go with it and it would make an excellent reading area !!