Author Topic: clock  (Read 3617 times)

suesyl

• View Profile
clock
« on: November 29, 2012, 09:34:45 am »
We have this clock, I think it is vintage, maybe art deco in style. I haven't been able to find one like it on the internet. It doesn't work right now and I wonder if it would cost more to repair than it has in value. It is about 8 inches tall. Thanks for the help.

suesyl

• View Profile
Re: clock
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 09:36:22 am »
Another picture, thanks.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 09:57:49 am »
You would probably spend more than its worth !!  But I probably would have it repaired if it were me,, just because I like it !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 10:21:40 am »
Agreed! It does look Deco. I've found that most clocks take $100-$200 to repair if nothing is dramatically wrong. I imagine that is probably what yours is worth - at most - but don't let that stop you if you love the clock.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 11:05:45 am »
its most likely been over wound...in which case if you were in the UK..you,d be looking at around £25 to fix...thats approx $40
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

suesyl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 01:39:23 pm »
I live in a small mid west kind of rural area. Nearest town is 25000 people. Do I call a jeweler to do repairs? I really like the clock too. Is it from the 1930s because of the art deco styling? This site is so fun!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 01:59:31 pm »
Yes the Deco styling may indicate the 1930s or 1940s. I live in a Midwestern town of about 40000 and there are several clock repair shops here. Check Online under clock repair or try the good old fashioned yellow pages!

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 02:17:08 pm »
And check at antique shops and jewelry stores !!  Many times if there is not one in your town,, one of these will be a pick up and drop shop for a watch/clock repair person in the next town !!  Thats how it is here !!  Just ask around and you can find one !!  Its worth having repaired !!

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 03:47:38 pm »
Over-winding a clock is impossible unless the clock is an antique from the 1600s to 1700s, when the mechanics of the clock were weight-oriented and the pulleys and ropes inside would get tangled together. Even though clock owners still use the term "over-wound," the problem is more likely that the clock requires a good cleaning and a few basic adjustments. A mechanically-driven clock wears down from day-to-day running, producing minuscule metal filings in the gears. Eventually, the coils and springs begin to stick.

Not sure what the cost would be at a jeweler to have it cleaned. Have a look around on google on how to repair/clean
antiques clocks. You may want to tinker with it your self but be warned there is a good chance of doing more damage

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 03:56:51 pm »
Well if that,s the case then...that "you can,t over wind a clock unless its 300/400 years old"...i,ll be have a few choice words with our local jeweller/clock repairer...who charged us £25 to unwind an overwound 1920,s mantle clock....and i,m going to print off what you have said...just for backup...and i,ll be demanding my money back.....thankyou for that info....

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 04:11:34 pm »
Sounds like a jeweller/clock repairer to avoid bigwig
people always seem to think they have over-wound there clocks/watches when they have stopped
working but fully wound. To keep  clocks/watches going for years is to have them serviced every 2 to 3 years.
10 times out of 10 The problems are the clock/watch requires a good cleaning and a few basic adjustments or even worn parts need to be replaced

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 04:10:42 am »
It doesn't work right now

The 1st thing I check is if the hour/minute hands are not "snagged".

Then I take the mechanism out of the case and gently move the escapement gear to see if it will oscellate for a minute or two. If so means "hairspring" is OK.

Next I "flush" the gears and the shaft for the hands with "lighter fluid" to clean the "varnish" (old dryed up oil) off of them, keeping the escapement gear oscellating.

If it continues to run after a couple "flushes" ..... put light on the gears. And back in its case.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 07:24:58 am »
Sounds like a jeweller/clock repairer to avoid bigwig
people always seem to think they have over-wound there clocks/watches when they have stopped
working but fully wound. To keep  clocks/watches going for years is to have them serviced every 2 to 3 years.
10 times out of 10 The problems are the clock/watch requires a good cleaning and a few basic adjustments or even worn parts need to be replaced
just what i need another dyslexic,....i,m bald as a coot..and i,ll stay that way....lemmy.....

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 07:54:45 am »
"Lemmy" and "Bigwig." That made my morning!! ;D ;D ;D

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 08:35:58 am »