Author Topic: Antique Map of Ireland  (Read 6785 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Map of Ireland
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 11:43:03 am »
Normally when paper items are framed, even on MDF, they use the gel-tack type or double face tape on the corners or sides which holds the item in place, then tiny spacers between the glass and the map !!  These are easily removed !!   I see no reason I can think of to glue it down if framed !!  I wonder if the map was framed here or in Ireland ??  They may use different methods !! Or the framer didn`t know what he/she was doing !!  Perhaps the idea of having it cleaned/restored/repaired never occurred to them !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 01:07:53 pm »
You said it better than I thought it Mart!  Thanks!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 01:12:08 pm »
Picture framers don,t have crystal balls...when he was framing this map...a leaking shower...was never on his horizon...a nice dry safe room wall was what he had in mind...so i don,t think he can be held accountable..for the water damage to the map/frame...i,d be more inclined to be having words with the plumber who installed the shower....and if words did,nt help...then a more drastic solution would be found

I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 01:18:34 pm »
Normally when paper items are framed, even on MDF, they use the gel-tack type or double face tape on the corners or sides which holds the item in place, then tiny spacers between the glass and the map !!  These are easily removed !!   I see no reason I can think of to glue it down if framed !!  I wonder if the map was framed here or in Ireland ??  They may use different methods !! Or the framer didn`t know what he/she was doing !!  Perhaps the idea of having it cleaned/restored/repaired never occurred to them !!
..as for having it cleaned or restored...if it had been under glass as it should have been then...there would be no need to have it cleaned...or restored...but...th en we have a plumber/shower installer...who has made a pigs arse of fitting the shower...which now brings me to ...house insurance....depend ing on what type of policy they have..it may be possible to claim..for said damage....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 02:00:48 pm »
Point is,, you just don`t glue an antique map to anything !!  At least,, not without the permission of the owner !!  Its possible that it is wheat paste rather than a glue and if so it can be removed with a steamer like you use on clothes !! Its the same as wallpaper paste !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 02:26:39 pm »
There,s No Point!!..Mart,...here we are debating an alleged water damaged antique map...that,
1)...we have never seen...
2)...No I.D.marks on the Map that we,ve never seen....
3)...it has an alleged value of AUD 450....but its going to cost almost double to remove said unseen map from equally unseen bit of MDF....
4)..PVA.glue??...again alleged...when dry PVA...is a clear  glue...almost indistinguishable from wallpaper paste...
5)..unless i see a clear pic of this otherwise mysterious water damaged Irish Map...that may or may not..have a Leprechaun...dangli ng from it...I,m saying no more.... ;D ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 05:37:24 pm »
Mart, you know those people from Scotland...they have to see it to believe it.  He thinks making point system out of this resolves it!  He He He....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 05:56:29 pm »
Mart, you know those people from Scotland...they have to see it to believe it.  He thinks making point system out of this resolves it!  He He He....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 06:09:21 pm »
LOL !!   Laughing so much I forgot what I was going to say !!  Be right back ,,,,, !! 

Well, since all the person asked for was information and opinions,, mine still is,,  take it to another framer !! I realize PVA dries clear and is used for some things but it also takes water or moisture to remove it and with some items, depending on the type of paper can cause yellowing that I would not want on my map, antique or not !!
I am just taking for granted that the poster knows his own map !! 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 06:34:44 pm by mart »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 05:19:49 am »
There,s No Point!!..Mart,...here we are debating an alleged water damaged antique map...that,
3)...it has an alleged value of AUD 450....but its going to cost almost double to remove said unseen map from equally unseen bit of MDF....
4)..PVA.glue??...again alleged...when dry PVA...is a clear  glue...almost indistinguishable from wallpaper paste...
5)..unless i see a clear pic of this otherwise mysterious water damaged Irish Map...that may or may not..have a Leprechaun...dangli ng from it...I,m saying no more.... ;D ;D

And I thought Missouri was the "show me" state! We must have gotten it from Scotland back in the day.... ;D ;D
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 05:27:55 am »
I will break my silence..."don,t all Boo at once"...if this map is made of parchment type paper...then freeze drying..is the best way..of minimizing damage to the inks...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 05:36:29 am »

And I thought Missouri was the "show me" state! We must have gotten it from Scotland back in the day.... ;D ;D
Of course it must have come from over this side of the pond...after all, any Americans I,ve ever met all tell me that they have Scottish/Irish..roots...unless it came from the original inhabitants of Missouri....the.
Chickasaw, Illini, Ioway, Missouri, Quapaw, Osage, and Otoe Indians... ;D ;D ;D

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 07:23:51 am »
The "Show me"state nickname comes from the 19th century definitely post-euro settlement.

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 07:31:42 am »
The "Show me"state nickname comes from the 19th century definitely post-euro settlement.
Well!!....that,s not really true...is it.... :D....you,re just a couple of hundred years out.... ;D

Geneviève is the oldest permanent European settlement in Missouri. It was named ... Jacques-Nicolas Bellin's map of 1755...
you were saying....

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 07:38:59 am »
Good research Wull,  but I was referring only to the origin of the nickname "show me state." The most common story is that it came from a politician's speech back in 1899. Definitely post-St. Gen and post-statehood. ;D

-Broderick Crawford