Author Topic: Need Info Identification on this Unusual Lamp!  (Read 5079 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Need Info Identification on this Unusual Lamp!
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 11:38:26 am »
wiring is old..bulb..is modern...see my link....on post above...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 12:09:38 pm »
I'm just thinking out loud here...but the epergne/vase looks like it could be a replacement?

I just get the feel of the late 30's to mid 40's (after war).  The old/frayed cloth covered wiring seals the deal on this for me! (Yes I know you can still buy it today and rework a lamp with it...)

These still sell for a pretty penny.  Gaudy...but people love it!  Speaks of a time that was slower and one would exude the sense of grandeur in select items.  Then, less was better.

Can you tell if the inner box has glass or resin or plastic used?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 12:11:17 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 12:15:03 pm »
I'm just thinking out loud here...but the epergne/vase looks like it could be a replacement?

I just get the feel of the late 30's to mid 40's (after war).  The old/frayed cloth covered wiring seals the deal on this for me! (Yes I know you can still buy it today and rework a lamp with it...)

These still sell for a pretty penny.  Gaudy...but people love it!  Speaks of a time that was slower and one would exude the sense of grandeur in select items.  Then, less was better.

Can you tell if the inner box has glass or resin or plastic used?
Gaudy....my, what a polite word for it...i,d call it .."Gugit"..... ;D ;D...

Debbelle

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 12:39:06 pm »
Bigwull - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's not my type either, but, I'd have to say that it's still a pretty lamp, epergne, etc.

Mart - I'm not sure if it's glass, resin, or plastic. I'm going to have my neighbor take a look at it to see if she knows what the material might be. I'll post back on that.

Here is another picture of the wiring from the top where the vase sets. Also, the vase is far from perfect. It has lots of bubbles and imperfections inside the glass, and has 3 seams.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 12:54:57 pm »
You could do a ..hot pin test..i.e. to determine if its plastic or resin...but on looking at this latest pic..if i did,nt know better i,d say this was white metal

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 01:04:07 pm »
I didn't want to sound rude....but that is an endearing term in the "shabby chic" arena.  AND I went on to say it is a LOVED LOOK!!!

It is highly possible that it is an original epergne...then I would date it a little later if it was based on the glass.  (I was betting it could be white metal...but it is one of those items that needs a hands on....irregardless. ..it will sell if they choose to resell!)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:05:48 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 03:19:25 pm »
That last pic is much better !!  That wire is more appropriate for an older lamp !!  So it has been rewired !!