Author Topic: antique candlesticks - perhaps 17th or 18th century British brass?  (Read 2560 times)

nwebb

• View Profile
Newbie here with a pair of candlesticks that have been in my family since at least the 1930s.

They appear to be brass, have a hexagonal base and are covered in what looks like rococo style design that looks like it could be English or early North American style cottages and family scenes. Rural, farming looking village people, plenty of paisely like swirls and pretty designs as well, from my point of view.

I have done some reading on antique candlesticks in general and understand that the facts that they are an identical pair, appear to be cast of a single piece of metal (have a round hole inside from which to eject the butt), and are a shade under six inches high are of some note. Seems they could be as old as the 1760's but could be some sort of replication as well, although my gut feeling is that they are the real deal.

My family history might be of some note as well. I've traced my roots back to the west midlands area of Oxfordshire. My line came to New York from Liverpool in 1822, stayed for a number of years upstate, and then came to their intended destination of Hamilton Ontario, or what was then Upper Canada in 1830. And stayed in Canada ever since.

My father passed ten years ago and all his siblings are long gone as well, unfortunately, so there are few memories and sources of information from which to draw upon.

I would be so grateful for some more hints or tips so I might solve this mystery over the holidays, while they are out for all the family to see.

happy holidays and thank you!

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 10:39:55 pm by nwebb »

nwebb

• View Profile
Re: antique candlesticks - perhaps 17th or 18th century British brass?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 11:45:03 pm »
I just did a magnet test and they aren't magnetic at all. I also scratched the surface inside and it was a bright silver colour, so I suppose that means they aren't brass. Do I have that right, I wonder?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 12:14:39 am by nwebb »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 09:59:15 am »
They are beautiful candlesticks !!  Its possible that they are brass coated white metal which is not uncommon but would date them later than 18th century !! Or a silver plating then brass !! High points would have shown the silver color and background would be brass !! But haven`t enlarged the pics yet to see if thats what it looks like !!  I would agree on them being likely made in the UK !!  Looked again and it does not look like the brass over silver, as the designs at top still look brass !! Just worn around the middle which lets the silver color show and that is a good thing because it shows appropriate wear for an older piece !! And brass over silver plate would have likely been marked !!  My feeling is that they are from first quarter of 1800`s !!  But see what other have to say !!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:23:50 am by mart »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 02:07:58 pm »
Beautiful alright! I would say Renaissance Revival. In England I'd give them a date of ca. 1860-1880.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

nwebb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 10:37:07 pm »
Great speculation -thanks. As far as I know, our family had little to no contact with the family left behind in England. Apart from a second brother who came in 1823, there is no record of any of the other family emigrating, and I have done years of research on that dteail If they are indeed English, then perhaps they are dated by the 1822 trip when they left they left the UK, meaning 1822 or earlier??

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 06:30:15 am »
Your info is in line with Mart's guess. The decoration just seems like Ren Rev to me, with the Renaissance peasants and c-scrolls. Perhaps they were sent to the U.S. by post? ;)

Anyway, 19th century for sure.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 03:11:45 pm »
My guess is they brought them when they came to America !! Have to look at form here,,, they are small, easily packed with scenes from home !!  A nice little reminder !!  I would expect Ren. Rev. to be more elaborate and with a bit more glitz !!  But with trying to give a date on an unmarked item,, best we can do is a guesstimate !! From what you say I still think first quarter of 1800`s !!