Author Topic: Large Asian Water color Painting  (Read 1765 times)

The-Warden

• View Profile
Large Asian Water color Painting
« on: December 10, 2012, 08:14:51 pm »
Hi People,

I bought this out of an old mansion, the woman that lived there was 93 and told me she remembers this painting hanging in the living room back in the 30's or 40's could not quite remember. It's very large about 4 feet by 3 feet including frame, the artist sounds American or English (Lynne Hugh) I can't find any info on the artist. Any one see any others like this, seems to be painted on some kind of board stock. The frame has chipping and seems to be black lacquer. Just would like to know about Artist

Thanks
                                                       Kevin

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Large Asian Water color Painting
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 01:39:05 am »
Like I said on another topic on here earlier...Thank God..this is,nt going to be hanging on my wall... ;D..
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

The-Warden

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 04:32:23 am »
Hey Bigwull,

yes it is ugly, but sometimes ugly turns out beautiful in the world of art, I did talk to another person about this piece and he remembers seeing a smaller piece by this Artist about 10 years ago in a gallery in New York. But he could not find out more about this Artist  either.

Regards,
                                          Kevin

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 10:04:46 pm »
Well , I'd give an only-seen-a-picture-of-it opinion that the style of this art is sorta very much like that done by tatoo artists ... 1930's thru 1950's , to my eye .

Looks more 'street-vendor' style (perhaps near a mil base) than anything else I might suggest .

Sometimes , in post-war Japan (and in wartime Korea) , 'native' peoples would use english 'spelling' , often near the phonetic of an actual name , so that servicemen/customers would able to identify & remember a name ( such as -for example only- Lin Hue) .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

The-Warden

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 05:10:37 am »
Hi Fancypants,

well time line seems about right, she said it was 30's or 40's. The womwn did say her Father owned a Pawn shop back then, maybe he took it in on Pawn? Makes me wonder why a piece by this artist would ever be in an Art gallery in New York?

Regards,
                              Kevin

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 05:39:35 am »
Hi Fancypants,

well time line seems about right, she said it was 30's or 40's. The womwn did say her Father owned a Pawn shop back then, maybe he took it in on Pawn? Makes me wonder why a piece by this artist would ever be in an Art gallery in New York?

Regards,
                              Kevin
probably because its worth oodles of $$$$...but you,ve just not sourced it yet...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,