Poll

Does anyone know EDITA and her tar sailing ships paint?

0 (0%)
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Painting by EDITA  (Read 6699 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Painting by EDITA
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 01:02:44 am »
Thank you guys. The painting is an original. I think is tar because it looks like it. Even the artist signature is done with the same "tar". Its on panel (if I know what I'm talking about) backround is red(ish) and everything else is "tar". Its a very beautiful art work.
I doubt very much that this is "tar"...are you aware that "tar"..is a bitumous compound that is highly flammable...it is more likely to be either thick oil paint..or acrylic...but not "tar
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 02:10:29 am »
"Located in Chicago in early 1900's to appx 1970, Windsor Art Products produced reproductions of original art that they received rights to reproduce....thus it was a decorative arts publishing company.  It had prints made and artists that gave proper brush strokes/etc by pressing or embossing to simulate an original.  This was not done to deceive but to make art affordable to the general population.  The main company (Illinois Moulding Company) framed the pieces and usually had gold/metal nameplates identifying the pieces. "

Also doubt it is tar.  Tar doesn't stay firm and wouldn't be a suitable medium.. Many times oil paint is put on so thick it can appear to be tar!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 07:11:46 am »
This is likely acrylic paint that has fiber added !!  It is used for impasto or high relief painting !! Oil paint takes too long to dry !!

IoanaS

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 12:09:14 am »
Any idea about value?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 09:35:32 am »
There were a lot of these done !!  Under $50. !!

IoanaS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 11:33:10 pm »
Really? That old and under $50? :(

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 09:42:08 am »
It was likely done mid century so not really old at all !!  Vintage would be a more accurate term !!  Afraid so !!  These are not very popular !!

kesgill

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2012, 08:04:30 am »
I'm sorry about the value being lower than you expected, but it's a beautiful picture!  I hope it doesn't take away from your enjoyment of it.  I'm actually quite jealous of you for having it  :)
"The spirit of the Knowledge Society is the spirit of Pluralism—a readiness to accept the Other, indeed to learn from him, to see difference as an opportunity rather than a threat."
- His Highness the Aga Khan IV (2006, Karachi, PK)

IoanaS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 10:46:39 pm »
I was away for 2 weeks...Thank you for the answers. Im still can't believe and I'm sad that this big painting is just $50!!!

Ipcress

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 09:07:09 pm »
What makes you think its tar ??

They're usually acryllic and have that moriage style heightened areas. Almost worthless mass produced stuff.