Author Topic: Need more info on my musical Santa  (Read 4269 times)

Mizmelzy

• View Profile
Need more info on my musical Santa
« on: December 16, 2012, 07:35:08 pm »
When I was little I had this Santa that the base would wind up and the santa would turn around. I don't remember what he played, but I assume it was a christmas tune. I always thought it was from the early 70's as I was born in 76. But the more I saw Santa's from the mid 40's to early 50's they looked quite similar in features.  I'm thinking this was actually my father's musical santa. Since my father has passed and so has my grandmother I have no one to ask. I will post pictures below.  The black wooden part at the bottom that you turned to wind up the Santa broke off.  Who would I take this to, to have it restored? All it needs is a little glue for the sash and a wooden piece made for the bottom so he could be wound up.  Thanks in advance!

Close-up of face
  Bottom
Full View

If anyone has any ideas from when this was, who made it? Was it a toy? Or a decoration?

Thanks
Melissa

mart

• View Profile
Re: Need more info on my musical Santa
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 07:41:36 pm »
Well,, I would agree that it looks more 40`s or 50`s than 70`s !!  It was just a round wooden base that you turn to wind ??  Do you still have the one that broke off ??

Mizmelzy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 07:45:29 pm »
No I don't. It was round and made of black wood. probably about 1/4 of an inch thick and about as wide as the bottom of the santa. When you wound him up he would spin around on the black base.

Melissa
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 07:49:07 pm by Mizmelzy »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 10:47:41 pm »
This looks like that time period.  Was the music in Santa or the base?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 03:22:49 am »
the music piece was in Santa...the base was the winder..which would be very easy to make providing thr "key"for the music piece is present
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 05:28:46 am »
The black wooden part at the bottom that you turned to wind up the Santa broke off.

Looking at the picture of the bottom .... I'm guessing that might be a "threaded" connection because of the fabric covering.

If so, then its an easy fix.

Mizmelzy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 06:34:15 am »
The music part was inside Santa.  I'm trying to find pictures of when I was little that show the black base.  I know one in particular where I was probably 1 1/2 and I was holding him head towards me and it shows his bottom perfectly.  Just have to look through boxes and boxes of pictures.  I will post when I find it.  I know that when the base broke, it still worked. I remember that it twisted off the bottom.  I did that a lot when I was little taking it off and on, and I probably stripped the threading on the wood base so it didn't stay on anymore.  I have not found something small enough to twist the metal screw in the bottom to see if it will play.  I would think it should if it worked right up until the bottom came off. 

I was only allowed to play with it at Christmas, but when I did, I usually slept with it. It was more like a doll to me than anything else.  But for being well loved it's in really good condition

Mel

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 12:20:52 pm »
Nice story of a Christmas tradition for you.

Like the others said, you should be able to fix it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Mizmelzy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 05:41:41 pm »
Here is a picture of the base. Surprisingly, it's a white base.  Which was not the base I remember. I know that one I would twist off and on was a black wooden base. So I'm thinking that it must have been fixed once already sometime after the picture was taken. 

I did try using a tweezers to see if I would wind it up a bit. I got two tings out of it. So it still works.  But not sure who I should take it to, to be fixed? Someone who works with dolls or possibly music boxes??

Mel

Mizmelzy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 05:46:21 pm »
Also, would anyone know it's value.  It doesn't matter to me if it's worth $1 or $5,000. I'd never sell it, but it would be nice to know. :)

Mel

Mizmelzy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 06:35:45 pm »
On a side note, I did find a Santa that someone was selling on etsy which is from the 1950's and the faces look pretty identical! All though her's looks more beat up than mine.

Etsy 1950's wind up musical santa
http://www.etsy.com/listing/118304923/vintage-1950s-wind-up-musical-santa?utm_source=googleproduct&utm_medium=syndication&utm_campaign=GPS&gclid=COP24PzZorQCFYZaMgodGSsAhw

Mel

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 06:45:57 pm »
...But not sure who I should take it to, to be fixed? Someone who works with dolls or possibly music boxes??

Mel

Maybe someone that works in clock repairs could help? Shouldn't be too difficult if there's a way to attach a new base to the "winder shaft".

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 07:20:37 pm »
Great suggestion Rauville!!!!

Mizmelzy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 07:25:35 pm »
Thanks. I'll try that. I found someone that is local that repairs all kinds of antiques.  I've emailed them.  I only want to work with someone local because I will not ship it anywhere.  I've seen what UPS and fedex does to shipments! ;)

Mel

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 07:26:38 pm »
You might find an old one on ebay that is cheap enough,,you could replace the base !!