Author Topic: Chinese Han Dynasty Ancient Jade Four Phoenix Vase Value?  (Read 6490 times)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Chinese Han Dynasty Ancient Jade Four Phoenix Vase Value?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 07:36:57 am »
Thanks for getting back with us Jiggy. Let us know about the authenticity.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Ipcress

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 11:04:34 am »
I finally received a reply from Christies about a month ago and the email said something along the lines of "the item does not meet our guidelines".  They did not ask for pictures or more info, so Im not sure who else to take the item to. 

There does appear to be cracks but they are veins of different colors, it doesnt seem to have glue or any damage.  The original purchase was in the 40s-50s, apparently my great grand father frequently purchased artifacts from around the world and sent them home, many were donated to universities and museums so I would highly doubt it is a reproduction.  .

Like i said back in January, i seriously doubt it's that old and the original auctioneer's appraisal seems...wrong. Christies e-mail seems to confirm this

However, no harm in getting another opinion

glovely

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 02:20:06 pm »
I wondered about that line too !!
I finally received a reply from Christies about a month ago and the email said something along the lines of "the item does not meet our guidelines".  They did not ask for pictures or more info, so Im not sure who else to take the item to. 

There does appear to be cracks but they are veins of different colors, it doesnt seem to have glue or any damage.  The original purchase was in the 40s-50s, apparently my great grand father frequently purchased artifacts from around the world and sent them home, many were donated to universities and museums so I would highly doubt it is a reproduction.  .

Like i said back in January, i seriously doubt it's that old and the original auctioneer's appraisal seems...wrong. Christies e-mail seems to confirm this

However, no harm in getting another opinion

There does appear to be cracks but they are veins of different colors, it doesnt seem to have glue or any damage.  The original purchase was in the 40s-50s, apparently my great grand father frequently purchased artifacts from around the world and sent them home, many were donated to universities and museums so I would highly doubt it is a reproduction. 

The auctioneer that was supposed to sell it labelled it "Chinese Han Dynasty Ancient Jade Four Phoenix Vase, 206BC-220AD" so I dont claim to know the difference between a Dragon and a Phoenix, but I would guess there was some reason he went with that specific title.  A quick google search of "Han Dynasty Jade Four Phoenix Vase" does show other vases that have similar figures labelled as Phoenix and many also show the same color lines.

I guess I will try to take to get appraised and see if an appraiser can find more info or verify authenticity.
Hello

I was recently left a vase I would like to get more information on.  I know it was scheduled to be auctioned as "Chinese Han Dynasty Ancient Jade Four Phoenix Vase, 206BC-220AD", but my family never went through with the auction.  It was purchased long time ago in Beijing by a member of my family who collected chinese antiques.  I cant find much on Google other than some museums that have a few similar in style.  Any info that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

glovely

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 02:32:33 pm »
Hello

I was recently left a vase I would like to get more information on.  I know it was scheduled to be auctioned as "Chinese Han Dynasty Ancient Jade Four Phoenix Vase, 206BC-220AD", but my family never went through with the auction.  It was purchased long time ago in Beijing by a member of my family who collected chinese antiques.  I cant find much on Google other than some museums that have a few similar in style.  Any info that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I believe these lines might be interesting too, this could be one of the pieces which inspired William Shakespeare's 'The turtle and the Pheonix' and therefore also Keat's Ode on a Grecian Urn. Could this be a funerary and therefore an  imperial artifact?l

'Beauty, truth, and rarity.
Grace in all simplicity,
Here enclos'd in cinders lie.

Death is now the phoenix' nest;
And the turtle's loyal breast
To eternity doth rest,

Leaving no posterity:--
'Twas not their infirmity,
It was married chastity.

Truth may seem, but cannot be:
Beauty brag, but 'tis not she;
Truth and beauty buried be.

To this urn let those repair
That are either true or fair;'

Another piece who inspired Shax.
Queen Elizabeth 1st. wore as her badge the order of the Pheonix.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 07:54:41 pm »
By all means get a second opinion !!  Try a museum !!