Author Topic: PreColumbian pottery  (Read 2899 times)

slcsteve

• View Profile
PreColumbian pottery
« on: December 21, 2012, 06:57:04 pm »
Hi

I've owned these two effigies for nearly 30 years. I purchased them at an private museum auction and am now just getting more curious about them. The label attached to each base states that they were unearthed in Central America. That's the extent of my knowledge regarding these. Any help/confirmation would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:44:49 am by slcsteve »
Steve

mart

• View Profile
Re: PreColumbian pottery
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 07:02:32 pm »
Can you take a pic of the entire label ??  Its cut off on the rt side !!

slcsteve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 07:11:38 pm »
Sorry! Here you go.
Steve

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 07:42:57 pm »
How tall are they ??

slcsteve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 07:50:48 pm »
16-1/2" and 13"
Steve

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 07:52:45 pm »
Did the museum..give you the original lenders disclaimer??..when you bought them...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

slcsteve

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 08:01:58 pm »
I only have the pottery, no documentation/provenance other than the auction receipts. The museum primarily was selling a huge collection of firearms that included an original Gatling gun. There were three of these pieces - I purchased two and the other was purchased by someone else.

I just googled Louis Shipshee, Topeka, Kansas and found that he was a somewhat noted artist and also collected Native American art. He was native American himself.
Steve

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 08:52:58 pm »
Its odd that a person that collects native american art would buy south american art !!  Whole different ballgame there !! Plus it came from someones estate sale in California !!  Museums are usually more careful about the chain of ownership and the ability to certify that it is what they claim it is !!  Now it is possible that it was donated to the museum but never displayed !!  I mean people donate items all the time not all are what the owner claims or can be proven !! Those are usually put in storage and sold off at some point in time !!

slcsteve

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 09:10:19 pm »
I was heavy into collecting Native American art when I purchased these. I didn't think it was so odd. Can you add anything to the small amount of info that I have?
Steve

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 09:56:27 pm »
I collected native American artifacts for years,, mainly Southern Caddo culture !! All I can add would be that if these were dug,, I would sure like to know from where and under what conditions these were buried ?? Seems to be almost too good to have laid underground for very long !!  You said they were dug in Guatamala ??  Tag just says Central America ??  I am just trying to figure this out !!  Face on the large figure just hits me as European rather than anything I am familiar with from South America !!  Although I am not well versed on that culture,, thats just how it feels to me !!

slcsteve

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 10:15:16 pm »
Disregard the Guatamala reference - That's just what I thought I had remembered before taking another look at the tag. I didn't pay very much for them and thought that they might fit in with what i had at the time. I suppose that the history prior to what the label states will remain a mystery.
Steve

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 11:42:57 pm »
I think I spoke to you on the phone last week about when you called me about selling your collection. Sorry I can't tell you anything...I still don't know much about it. Just scratching my head at what a small world it is. If that wasn't you, then I apologize. There just happens to be another Steve trying to sell Pre-Colombian art right now.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

slcsteve

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 07:58:39 am »
I think I spoke to you on the phone last week about when you called me about selling your collection. Sorry I can't tell you anything...I still don't know much about it. Just scratching my head at what a small world it is. If that wasn't you, then I apologize. There just happens to be another Steve trying to sell Pre-Colombian art right now.

t'wasn't me and no apology necessary. If you garner any information please pass it on.

cheers
Steve

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 09:33:54 am »
I would recommend taking them to a museum curator for their opinion !! Wouldn`t hurt to check with someone with more experience !!