Author Topic: Brass tube  (Read 12686 times)

Mrdave25

• View Profile
Re: Brass tube
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 09:10:44 pm »
I was thinking that also Bigwull, being it had the same mark on that persons item. Thank you all very very much!  You all have been very helpful. I am going to do some more research and hopefully take it somewhere to get an answer. I will update for sure when I find out.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 02:22:52 am »
I,m a little bit confused here...What more do you need..."you know that it is a Civil War era brass/copper map case...It carries the same markings,as the one I found on Worthpoint...yet... You are saying you will hopefully take it somewhere and get an answer....."an answer to what???...its a map case...not a candlemaking mould,..or a comb dispenser,/cleaner.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 06:47:58 am »
Given the metal insert for holding the object(s) it is not logical that it is a map holder.

In time of War who would want to fool around rolling a map up, putting it in the holder, putting the holder in the tube and putting the cap on the tube.

Or the reverse of ..... to get the map out.

Not to mention the fact that carrying a "banging clanging" bulky object such as that is ....... would make for an inconvienence.

Especially when a leather pouch or tube would have worked just fine, more practical and more easily produced.

HA, ... rideing horses is somewhat different than rideing Jeeps or Humvees. ;D ;D

But whatta I know?

Mrdave25

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 07:50:58 am »
Bigwull, Cheer up...stop being so pessimistic.   I want to know for sure, 100%. 

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 10:21:36 am »
I agree with Cogar on this one: Whatever this turns out to be, I would bet it's not a map case. That is one glaring problem with the internet. Once someones "opinion / guess" on an item is found on a search program, we tend to accept it as a historical fact.

Back to the question: I wonder if the "GHW Mfg." mark was ever used by General Hardware Mfg.? They made a lot of tools like brass plumb bobs, etc.

There needs to be some more research done on this item, or an "expert" found. (Speaking of experts; I was saddened to hear of the passing of Wendell Garrett last month. I'll miss him on the Antique Roadshow. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendell_Garrett)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 10:53:15 am »
Bigwull, Cheer up...stop being so pessimistic.   I want to know for sure, 100%. 
I suffer from many things...but pessimism...is,nt one of them....

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2012, 12:39:01 pm »
Cogar, I would say it could still be a map holder...Does it appear that the holder for the cylinder could be mounted to a wall or desk - as if on a ship!

However, I agree it still needs more research.  Most companies didn't specialize in one item if they were a refinery way back when....so, the hunt is still on.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:40:58 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2012, 08:17:07 pm »
With a circumference of 14 in. ,,,that would be one whopping long and skinny map !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2012, 01:40:14 am »
There was a GHW Bates Manufacturing Company who made  Gem Roller Organs...and there was a GHW company that manufactured pharmaceuticals.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2012, 02:35:11 am »
and there,s the GHW Knitwear Company...then there,s    "GHW Bush & Co".... ;D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2012, 04:32:00 am »
KC, the "holder" I spoke of is an insert that goes inside of the brass tube.

See Post #12 picture.

I think the tube would have sat on a shelf and might have contained a bottle of "light sensitive" liguid. just a guess of course.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2012, 04:36:43 am »
Found this site of Civil War.memorabilia...i f you scroll down you,ll see Black Japanned metal cylinder map case...and there is also 2 x Fleam Bleeders...Non Vet type...

http://www.historicalshop.com/sitecontents/civilwar/relics.htm

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2012, 04:43:07 am »
just in case you can,t find the black jap...case

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2012, 05:27:27 am »
Those are made different than Mrdave’s.

The Black Japanned ones make sense because it would not reflect Sunlight and they are "multi-part" soldered together on the side and w/bottom soldered on … and a rolled “lip” at the lid.

Mrdave’s looks like it was “spin” formed which might date it later than the Civil War. One would have to check to see when they first started to employ that “spin forming” process.

I didn’t have a problem with a “brass” map holder …. but I did with a “brass” map holder with a steel insert.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2012, 05:46:44 am »
am I missing something here...I never said this was the same as the map case in question..i,m using this as an example...for those that think that mrdave,s is,nt a map case...and as for the "brass case"...which looks awfully like copper to me...this one in my opinion was,nt spun as you put it...and furthermore..the description of the "brass one is civil war era...and as for not reflecting sunlight....how do we know that mrdave,s was always "brass"..it too may have been black in its day...