Author Topic: Two "Mystery Dolls" (to me) - Help would be appreciated!  (Read 5839 times)

JAT

• View Profile
Two "Mystery Dolls" (to me) - Help would be appreciated!
« on: December 23, 2012, 12:54:12 pm »
Hi all.  Came across some dolls (2 being posted here for now) and stuffed animals that my mom had set aside for me many years ago of which I recently "unearthed."  The first is a male (soft stuffed? not sure if this is what they're called - I know zip about dolls), 8-1/4" H x 7.0" W, the brown hat/cap states, "Red Cap", the only identifying marks on this is a small label which I cannot read to save my soul, and the manufactured year probably 50's - 60's.  The second doll is 19" T, limbs and head move, nail polish and lipstick in perfect condition, eyes; blue, sparkling, and lashes move, identifying marks; none other than undergarment marked "Made In Japan", defects; hair is matted, bouquet is missing, stains from earrings, clothing needs to be cleaned, and year... 50's - 60's, the latter my guess as that is the decade in which my sisters and myself were growing up.  I've searched elsewhere on both of these items with no luck.  Pics for the 2nd doll I will post next.  Any assistance/leads would be most appreciative.  In advance, thank you for your time, efforts, and expertise. 

JAT

• View Profile
Re: Two "Mystery Dolls" (to me) - Help would be appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 12:56:30 pm »
Additional pics (doll in wedding dress).  Thank you!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 06:50:03 pm »
The bride looks like a Madame Alexander doll. It looks like MA made lots of variations of the bride doll. I wasn't able to find one precisely like yours, but there are lots very similar.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 08:28:11 pm »
Look at the back of the neck at the hairline for a name !!  They are sometimes marked there !!

JAT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 05:44:56 pm »
Thanks Tales and Mart for your help on this one!  As for any markings - there are none however after further pics of other Madame Alexander dolls I think you nailed it.  Thanks so much.  As for the other doll - the blue stuffed? one - uh... have zero idea but still searching but I'm about to give up on it and try and just give it a shot to sell it for a few bucks... I have no idea where or from whom I received it from - who knows... maybe someone won it at a carnival!  Have another doll; a Vogue Ginny doll... boy these dolls are messes!  I've been reading up on maybe doing a little cleaning/restoration such as fixing the hair and washing the clothes - otherwise she's in great shape.  With the latter being said however, from what I've read regarding those processes I'm not so sure I want to get into that as I don't think the value of the dolls is even worth the effort... I don't know - maybe a little Ivory soap for the clothing with lots of rinsing and finger-pressing? (never heard of that before!) and be done with it  ;).

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 07:26:18 pm »
Don`t sell the Red Cap doll yet !! I am thinking he may have been a premium or advertising doll !!  Just didn`t have much time to look over the holiday with shopping and all !!  Hope you had a great Christmas !!  As for the clothes that need laundering,, Woolite is good or just some of your shampoo !!  Then lay flat to dry on a towel !!  Just be careful with the old stitching !!

JAT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 02:32:44 pm »
Hmmm Mart - I've heard of advertising items but not dolls and could very well be!  I Googled to find out what the difference would be between a premium doll versus advertising doll and wasn't able to come up with anything other than the Madame Alexander doll and the Vogue Ginny doll came up under premium dolls, but then of course just because I couldn't locate an answer to my questions means zip.  Thanks for the tip and will keep searching... Google isn't the only search engine!  I'll also give Worthpoint a try.  Thanks also for the tip on laundering the clothing... I had thought about Woolite but everything I read kept saying to use baby shampoo and bluing.  Hey... if Woolite is good enough for silks (some) its good enough for doll clothing, and, I'll use a towel to dry.  Thanks again!  What do I know!  No wonder why I loved my Creepy Crawler's set versus playing with dolls (although at some stage I played with Barbie dolls) and stuffed animals (sure glad I didn't play with my Steiff dolls as they're in mint condition - just sold 2!).  Speaking of Steiff... this one woman keeps coming back (we have a booth), wants a specific one - can't remember which, and keeps trying to get me to lower my asking price by 30% - not!  I keep giving her the same discount but she won't go for it...  Same thing is happening with some of my husband's turquoise jewelry... there's one guy who keeps returning and wants an asinine price; we're not giving anything away but yet at the same time we are trying to work with the buyers.  Oh well.  Just realized I rambled  ::)

Don`t sell the Red Cap doll yet !! I am thinking he may have been a premium or advertising doll !!  Just didn`t have much time to look over the holiday with shopping and all !!  Hope you had a great Christmas !!  As for the clothes that need laundering,, Woolite is good or just some of your shampoo !!  Then lay flat to dry on a towel !!  Just be careful with the old stitching !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 02:37:33 pm »
What does he outfits resemble?  Bellhop?  courier?  (Not a pilot)  Child with school book on book strap?

For example, victorian books with bookstrap
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 02:40:01 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 02:47:35 pm »
KC I have been looking at delivery services since the package looks like plain brown wrap and string tied !! From the face I think its a 40`s doll !! By premium doll I meant something that a company gave away to its customers !! Advertising doll would have a company name attached in some way !!  That blue uniform with the strap on rt side might be a clue but can`t think of anything yet,, odd that red cap was written on a brown cap !!

JAT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 02:53:54 pm »
I would say it resembles some type of delivery as what he's carrying is either some sort of package or letter.  Perhaps I should concentrate on that idea (thanks!) rather than what it says on his hat.  It is a plush toy/doll so there isn't any other clothing.  I sure wish I could read what the label says - quite blurred out!

What does he outfits resemble?  Bellhop?  courier?  (Not a pilot)  Child with school book on book strap?

For example, victorian books with bookstrap

JAT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 02:57:44 pm »
Thanks for the info and ideas!  This doll certainly is a mystery.

KC I have been looking at delivery services since the package looks like plain brown wrap and string tied !! From the face I think its a 40`s doll !! By premium doll I meant something that a company gave away to its customers !! Advertising doll would have a company name attached in some way !!  That blue uniform with the strap on rt side might be a clue but can`t think of anything yet,, odd that red cap was written on a brown cap !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 03:01:57 pm »
When I think of a "Red Cap", I see a porter at the airport.

(Either that or Carling Red Cap Ale. ;))

JAT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 03:17:38 pm »
Hmmm... porter service.  Came up with this quoted from Yahoo in answer to "What Is Red Cap Service" pertaining to the port authority in NY:  "Well, "Red Cap Service" is a kind of antiquated name for the porter service that used to be offered in the train stations back when trains were the primary means of travel, and, not surprisingly, it is so called because the porters all wore red caps as part of their uniforms.  Anyway, the term is still used to this day to refer to any such porter service, like in airports or bus stations..."  Thing is this guy's hat is brown.  Stillllll searching!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 03:30:08 pm »
Surpised that you didn't mention this one Wullie  - "A Red Cap or Redcap, also known as a powrie or dunter, is a type of malevolent murderous dwarf, goblin, elf or fairy found in Border Folklore. They are said to inhabit ruined castles found along the border between England and Scotland."-Wikipedia
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 06:45:19 pm »
What label ?? Post a close up pic and maybe we will get an idea !!