Author Topic: Drop-face Drawer Cabinet, skeleton key swing doors, what is it for?  (Read 33067 times)

glasschick

• View Profile
Re: Drop-face Drawer Cabinet, skeleton key swing doors, what is it for?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 06:31:53 pm »
Drawer construction...dove tails, flat nails, glue joints.

glasschick

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 06:37:10 pm »
Next, pictures of inside construction and wood type. 2nd photo only damage not just wear and tear...back was re-paneled. 3rd photo is slide out shelf, last pic is bottom detail.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:53:33 pm by glasschick »

glasschick

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 06:41:58 pm »
Rest of original back piece is intact, what kind of wood do you think it is make out of? Oak or Mahogany? I also read maybe Satinwood, it does have a sheen and is slightly darker than flash photos.  Lacquer only on parts that show.
In these photos, some of the numbers and marking on drawers.  Last 2 pics it looks like an "L" in lower right hand corner?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:55:37 pm by glasschick »

glasschick

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 06:51:11 pm »
And finally....drum roll...this might be it after all these years...is this a date? I took a flashlight, removed all the drawers and found this marking inside the upper right back corner of the top. The confusing part is one 7 marking on the drawer backs is crossed like I make mine, the rest of the 7 markings are not crossed.  It is obvious that 2 or more people marked parts, even inside on some of the drawer stops.  So it looks like this may say 27/2/79, or maybe it is 21/2/19..  (the rest of the number, if any, is under glued piece of wood I don't want to remove to find out). The 1 markings on all drawers are loopy at top, these are not which makes me think they are 7s, if so that would be Feb 27, 1879 right? Did they use day, then month, then year like that?  Also, did they sign '79 or did they sign 1879?

I am so enthralled with the history of this piece now.  I was always drawn to it but now I just have to know all I can!  I told my friend I am keeping it  ;)
Thanks SO much for your time and knowledge everyone!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:57:07 pm by glasschick »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 07:29:41 pm »
From what I see it was not made in 1879 but it appears to have been refinished rather badly and that may have been in 1979 !! The pic of the inside of the drop down door looks like oak !! Refinishing would seriously affect value !! I  don`t see the ageing of the wood that I was expecting !! If I were to guess when it was made,, after looking at these pics,, I would say more likely 40`s or 50`s !!

glasschick

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 07:44:31 pm »
Thanks Mart, there is a lot of wear on bottom of half the drawers, wood underneath shelves never lacquered like wood inside.  Rest of drawers are finished better...this one had the bad drips. 

Was it still made in the UK?  The wood is fairly worn where drawers slide and doors touch, maybe the possible refinishing is masking the real wear and tear as it appears to be a very well used piece.  Even 1940-50 is pretty old but do you think we should see ones very similar if it was that new? I haven't found one other picture of one like this.
Thanks again for all your help!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 07:59:17 pm »
Yes it is typical UK construction !! And it could be slightly earlier but I don`t think so !!  Get some other opinions too !! But I just don`t see the age I expected !! That is not to say that its not a nice cabinet !! Its very well made !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 08:11:31 pm »
I agree that it doesn't look aged like I thought it could be (to be antique which is 100 years or older).  Also agree that someone has refinished the piece...rather amateurishly from the looks of some pics.  Looks European to me as well....but with caution I say this because many cabinet makers came to the US and produced these items here...thus the look but made in the USA.  (Forgive me if I don't remember where you are located.)

It is a well-loved and great looking piece...that I would recommend refinishing at some point...it will not hurt the value at this time and can only serve to improve the looks. (However, if you like the looks from the outside it does look good and current with today's "Pinterest" style - and I don't think you will have many folks walking in and inspecting the inside of your drawers/cabinet!) You don't often see the two column style with the columns like this...which makes it a great piece.  Would be a keeper for me!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 08:14:29 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2012, 08:40:22 pm »
I think this was likely shipped here from the UK back in the 70`s when anything antique or even close to it was selling like hotcakes.  There were buyers that paid pennies on the dollar for furniture in the UK and literally made a killing selling them here !! I bought quite a bit of it when I had my shop from a wholesaler that had a dip-strip vat !!   He purchased it by the shipping container full !! At least it appears that this cabinet was saved from that fate !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 08:43:36 pm »
Great mention of that Mart...so true.  I got all my European pieces form import as well.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

glasschick

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2012, 09:50:38 pm »
Thanks SO much mart and KC!  Ok, what about this summary:
Made:  Still 40s-50s? (can we date this better by hardware or penciled "date" research, where would I go?)
Where:  UK, possibly shipped to US up to the 70's
Wood:  Oak 
Finish: Terrible excuse for a refinish, not sure I liked it dark anyway but will leave it. I will say NO other older finish is visible anywhere  on or inside piece, even the deep dados and small spaces inbewteen mouldings show raw light wood.  Maybe it was a horrible first do?
Maker: Unknown UK
Value: ? (Really not sure now, what do you all think a fair home insurance value would be, right now it is $1K?)
Rarity:  ?

I wish I could find out more but leaving some things unknown adds to the mystery and appeal of this piece to me.
You are all very helpful and I sure appreciate it. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 07:34:41 am »
That summation would be pretty close !! And to tell the truth on furniture thats about as good as it gets !! It was probably pretty dark originally,, could be that someone just revarnished it !!
As to value for insurance purposes I would say that $1000. would be about right !! If original finish had been left,, probably double that !!

glasschick

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 01:09:16 pm »
Thanks so much mart... I love it no matter what!  Happy New Year!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2012, 02:10:06 pm »

if I may throw my tuppence worth in...I,have read with interest, what has been said..over the past few posts...and can agree with some of whats been said...but not with all,...i still hold that this piece is old...well older than 1979.... ;D...English furniture..like this piece..would normally have had cheaper woods used for the not in your eye...construction. ..and it was not uncommon to have a beautifully finished piece..that was made of expensive hardwoods...that had a softwood core...it was all down to the economics of the piece...A good way to check on how old a piece is...look for the type of glue that was used in its construction...the old glues were made of boiled down hooves.."it stank"...the colour of this glue when dried resembles the colour of cardboard..where as modern glue dries clear...I still hold that this is a mourning piece.....As for the mass importation of antiques to the US...during the late 60,s/70,s...it was like Christmas for the dealers over here..especially... if you had a shop near one of the many US bases,that were here...the  old saying was.."if you can,t sell it here..stick it in a container and ship it to the US...they,ll buy anything"..... ;)
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2012, 02:24:24 pm »
Agree that it is much earlier than mid 20th century.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford