Author Topic: Drop-face Drawer Cabinet, skeleton key swing doors, what is it for?  (Read 33069 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Drop-face Drawer Cabinet, skeleton key swing doors, what is it for?
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2012, 03:01:28 pm »
I looked inside pretty carefully for tell tale dark glue lines but couldn`t see any !! Most of interior supports and runners just plain pine !! Just did not see the  ageing of the wood that I expected from an older piece And all the joint lines were pretty darn tight,, so I an sticking with my opinion of 40`s or 50`s give or take a year or two !!
I wish it had been older !!

glasschick

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2012, 07:48:27 pm »
bigwull, mart and ghopper1924, Thank you, I have trouble believing it isn't older than 1940.  There is a LOT of wear and tear, some of the drawers the wood is worn much thinner, some VERY thin and worn completely gone in spots, some drawers look great!  The glue inside is just the cardboard color you described (the camera flash made the wood look white too...it is more light amber inside), being familiar with glass chipping, I have worked with that same animal hoof stinky glue.  The glue is definitely darker than wood color.  

The woman I built $10K worth of stained glass windows for is a dealer in Las Vegas who "estimated" it's age at appx 1900. This piece came with a couple other gorgeous pieces I traded her that she got from a very old, wealthy woman's estate in CA (mild, temperate weather).  The woman was over 100 when she died and her house was full of pampered pieces.  The woman's daughter mentioned something to the dealer about this chest "on a ship" and that her mother had it when she was young. Let's say "young" was 30, she died at 100, that is 70 years, plus I got it almost 20 years ago.  So that seems to be 90 years IF she got it new.  Maybe that "ship" is how it came here, or perhaps it was built for a ship?  I have always called it the "ship's chest", thought it was some sort of dresser that locked to keep things from falling out with the listing of a ship.  When I heard some of these responses I started to question what the daughter had told my friend, the dealer. Everything else I got from her is genuine to what I was told at purchase.
All this estate's pieces were top notch and very well cared for many decades.   With the super worn drawers there is hardly a way to have worn them to missing in parts in 60 years.  I have pieces that old that look great and I do use them!  I will go take pics of the really worn drawers.

I think if anything this may have had a re-varnish but the few pieces I have refinished (not my antiques) it is nearly impossible to remove every shred of old finish.  I see NO other finish anywhere, most of it is not that badly done as that picture.  You know, as an artist and glass blower, I have great days and the rare crappy days, I would never put out work like that but have seen plenty of it!

Is there ANY reference or old catalogs out there showing furniture for purchase during that time? Old hardware catalogs?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 08:12:13 pm »
If  the runners are pine it would be difficult to determine age by them !!  Pine is a very soft wood and can wear down pretty fast !!  I have some 50`s furniture that are worn like that !!  But I will wait to see the new pics !!

glasschick

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2012, 08:40:36 pm »
Sorry, it takes awhile to get stuff out, take pics and reduce them to uploadable size.

Ok, first pics are drawer wear...2 middle drawers are worst.

The wood is worn through to missing and under 3/32th thick, most of the bottoms are a stout 1/8".

glasschick

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2012, 08:51:39 pm »
Ok, now for better pics of glue color...still not right because of flash.  Compared to the raw wood, the glue is very dark.

glasschick

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2012, 09:07:18 pm »
Here is one of the other pieces I got from this woman's estate (through my dealer friend).  I probably overpaid 20 years ago at $200 but I didn't care, I love this dresser.  It is my favorite piece of all, although the "Wellington" chest is catching up with the history!  Lousy pic but this piece (when not dusty) looks brand new except for faint loss of silvering on edges of mirror, the pulls are exquisite deco drops. The wooden wheels still roll fine, some wear.  We were told by the daughter this was a gift to her mother and she got it new, I am the second owner of this piece (except the 3 days the dealer had it).  There is a complete date written on bottom of drawer, how old do you all think this piece is?  What type of wood?

Last pic is one of my older tiffany style lamps, the 16" waterlily.  I have made several dozen lamps in 30 years in glass. I make them with the same exact glass manufacturers, hardware, and my best attempt at the precision and artistry of the incredible Louis Tiffany studio.

Thanks so much ALL of you, I appreciate every opinion and debate, this has been an adventure!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 11:11:55 pm by glasschick »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2012, 09:23:07 pm »
If this chest is any younger than the very early 1900,s...I,d eat my hat...if I had one....I,ve seen examples like this...all the time...take that French style Wardrobe...that I got Avril a few months back...the whole frontage is made of Oregon Pine...and the carcase...is nothing short of being one step removed from an orange box...its the way furniture was made over here...in the late 1800,s/early 1900,s...I posted a link to an English company..on an earlier post...you could contact them...and they may be able to help....failing that you could send an email to Anita Manning...for a free valuation...see link...then click on valuations

http://www.greatwesternauctions.com/valuations.php
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

glasschick

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2012, 10:27:48 pm »
Thank you bigwull!  I did email that company but being holidays, haven't heard back yet.  I feel from the woman's story (she, the daughter, was mid-seventies) that she was honest.  The little dresser in last pic is exactly what she said it was.  Someone in the UK like you would have seen more of the chest's type of furniture (and more authentic examples) than I am sure any of us see here.

I will contact Anita and then maybe start with hardware and key size (the common skeleton keys are too big).  Do you recommend I try and turn the locks or not?  Would be cool to see if they work if i can find a smaller key.

Cool the wardrobe is Oregon Pine...I have them growing on my property on the Oregon coast (South Beach).

I would be glad to send you a hat...just in case ya might actually like to wear it  ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 10:56:13 pm by glasschick »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2013, 12:47:39 am »
Depends how you read the date written as well.

Is it the day/month/year.....or is it year/month/day?  Depends on which country!

US form is actually the more traditional Anglo-Saxon way, but the British used the European form in the early 20th Century.

From the pics I can't say before 1900. 

From my view (which isn't ever oh-so-clear) the numbers appear to be 27/2/19?

I would recommend you get a hands-on inspection.  It is such a great piece!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2013, 05:52:30 am »
KC...over here in UK...we were taught from an early age...that its 23/6/1950...which also happens to be...my birthday.....i just thought i,d let you know well in advance....lest you forget nearer the time.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2013, 07:44:18 am »
Ca. 1900 sounds good for your chest, which might literally have been shipped on a ship. I'm with Wullie on this one. The refinish looks to be from the decade of horrible refinishing, the 1970s.

I'd say ca. 1925-35 on the vanity. Looks like oak. Nice looking piece!

Oh, and you did a beautiful job with the lamp.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 07:46:33 am by ghopper1924 »
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2013, 10:13:45 am »
Are all the screws that secure the drop downs on the sides the same ?? 

glasschick

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2013, 01:22:02 pm »
bigwull and KC, yes, it appears to be a 27, the last could be 19 or 79, but looks like the 7 to me...even so...IF there is another number after the 9..looks to be bottom of a 0...so could be 190_  which may still be in the end of the "Mourning" era.

ghopper, you nailed it on the dresser.  The dates are 6/5/31 and initials M E, then on other side is stamp W.Anthony and under that 5/5/31.  I was told in the 30's and that is was tiger oak so that makes me tend to believe more that the daughter was being honest. This piece is nearly perfect and it is 80 years old, the woman having it for 60 years, tells me she took VERY good care of her pieces.  If so, that means this chest is at least 90 years old....so even the 190_ works. Thanks for the kudos on my lamp!

mart, I think so but will look later and see...
Happy New Year everyone!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2013, 03:44:49 pm »
Glasschick, more times than not people are being honest...they just weren't given correct information from "recollections" and "Memories" of loved ones.  It happens to all of us.  I'm lucky to remember how to log in to this forum when it somehow logs out!   :)  At least they dated it!

Love the 3 panel mirror on that piece - very unique!!!!  You don't see alot of these because they are more fragile!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

glasschick

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2013, 08:02:54 pm »
KC, yes, isn't that the truth!  Well, the history on the chest is fascinating, sure has been fun! Thanks to everyone who gave me their imput and opinions here!

I love the little dresser/vanity too...the 3 mirrors is what I like most too.  Although not an antique...a sweet piece!  I just found those markings last night...should have looked sooner but glad you all got me motivated to start investigating some of my "antiques".  ;)