Author Topic: Cut cobalt glass lamp  (Read 1375 times)

Achilles

Cut cobalt glass lamp
« on: January 04, 2013, 01:23:01 pm »
    Hello everyone...I recently came across this lamp when I was going through some old family boxes. Not knowing very much about glass lamps I've been doing my best to learn about similar pieces. I'm afraid that there is no maker's mark that I can see with a 10x loupe and I can see striations within the cuts or bevels...from what I understand these clues seem to point to a recent manufacture. I, however, would still like to assemble the  lamp and am having a hard time finding a tripod shade holder that would support the weight of the shade. If I could receive some info on where to find a holder (I suppose it needs to be cast) and some suggestions on what type of wire and socket to use that goes with the style I would very much appreciate it. Even if I receive tips on how to research these things more effectively myself I would be grateful.
    Thank you for your time in helping a beginner...and I believe that even though this piece may not be very old,  restoring it will get me started on a new passion!!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Cut cobalt glass lamp
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 02:20:18 pm »
Thats a very nice lamp and could date from the 30`s or so !!  Wendy could give a more accurate date !!  As to the needed parts,, there are many places you can get reproduction parts !!  And a few have the old ones !! All the electrical parts can be found at any hardware store !!  They were basically the same that we use today except the cord and you don`t want it anyway !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 02:22:59 pm »
I just leafed through an out dated B&P Lamp Supply catalog and see they show: 10743 - 10" Cast Brass Tripod Shade Holder. You could check their online catalog to see if they still offer it.
BTW: Welcome to the forum. :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 08:24:29 pm »
Forgive me !! I should have welcomed you too !!  Welcome to the group !!  (Have had my 5 year old great grandaughter for last three days)   Thats my excuse for forgetfulness !!

Achilles

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 09:50:48 pm »
   Thank you for the welcomes. (is that a word? lol) Yes, Rauville, I see that holder...just what I would need. Unfortunately they are out of stock for the moment but I will contact them to see if they'll have others soon. Thanks for finding that.
    mart...I totally understand the forgetfulness...I have two daughters myself (12 and 14) and I'm surprised  I remember my name sometimes.
    Thanks for the advice...I originally found this great forum because of one piece but I just can't stop reading about anything and everything...I especially love the pics. I'll be posting pics when I'm done with the lamp.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 12:56:20 am »
Forgive me !! I should have welcomed you too !!  Welcome to the group !!  (Have had my 5 year old great grandaughter for last three days)   Thats my excuse for forgetfulness !!
Poor Great.... Grandaughter......o nly an excuse.....thats the best i,ve heard in a long time.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 06:24:29 am »
Ha !!  Do you seriously think I would put "old age" ???  Not me !!!