Author Topic: GIFT FROM GREAT GRANDMA | DESK? | PLEASE HELP!!  (Read 3183 times)

sbarwins

• View Profile
GIFT FROM GREAT GRANDMA | DESK? | PLEASE HELP!!
« on: January 06, 2013, 12:08:42 am »
Hey everyone. I have been on the look out for an active antique forum and i think i found the place! I have been just recently moving out furniture out of my grandmas old house and we found what appears a very old looking desk? of some sort. We want to get rid of it and sell it and make sure we do not get ripped off if there is anything to be ripped off from! We had a friend very interested in it and said it can be from asia? Please take a look at the picture and can you help us find out what this may be.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: GIFT FROM GREAT GRANDMA | DESK? | PLEASE HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 05:37:02 am »
Welcome to the forum sbarwins!  Could you take pics of the desk's construction....... .the back and inside,  pull open the drawers and take shots of how the drawer fronts are attached (side, bottom, top). Are there any keyholes or latches? Pics of nails/screws, etc. Anything that may help date construction methods.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 07:03:34 am »
ALSO please take a picture of the overall piece from front/back/side.  Also a pic of the side of a pulled out drawer in addition to what sapphire asked for.

Yeah, know we ask alot of pics...but when you aren't actually there for a hands on...we do what is second best!

Thanks!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 10:55:12 am »
And please take the scarf off the top for pics !!  From what I can see here,, this appears to be a dresser rather than a desk !!  Other than legs,feet, not much of the pattern makes me think Asian, but will wait to see additional pics !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 12:33:14 pm »
this must have been built by a man with a white stick and a dog....i,m sure glad i only have to look at the pictures.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 12:37:55 pm »
Wullie !!  Does that mean it isn`t your style ??

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 12:51:33 pm »
I know you said that this came from your gg ma, which implies some sort of significant age, but to me this looks like a 1970s-80s "Victorian" desk from the Phillipines. The stain is about right, and I regret saying that the carving quality does not appear to be high. If I'm right then the value would be in the low hundreds U.S. $ at best.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 01:44:59 pm »
I tend to agree ghopper !!  Most of that stuff was a mish mash of styles and I agree about the color and finish !!  But will look at additional pics!!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 04:06:15 pm »
Wullie !!  Does that mean it isn`t your style ??
..is,nt my style!!..Ha....look at it....its got a face only a mother could love....things like this are coming out of Vietnam.&.Indonesia....by the container load....and as far as i,m concerned it fodder for my woodburner....

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 05:27:30 pm »
Wullie, behave!

I am glad that your impression was like mine.  Here in my neck of the woods they imported alot of items from Indonesia and Phillipnies and they have the REAL SHINY and RED TONE...like this one appears in the photo.  I was just waiting for more pics before I cast the vote solidly.

Still, it is a gift from Gma - which makes it priceless!!!  Where did Gma get it?  What part of world? Country?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 07:01:42 pm »
Hey everyone. I have been on the look out for an active antique forum and i think i found the place! I have been just recently moving out furniture out of my grandmas old house and we found what appears a very old looking desk? of some sort. We want to get rid of it and sell it and make sure we do not get ripped off if there is anything to be ripped off from! We had a friend very interested in it and said it can be from asia? Please take a look at the picture and can you help us find out what this may be.

Personally speaking....If i had a friend who was very interested in this piece.....I,d be hard pushed...not to bite their hand off....

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 07:54:54 pm »
the more i look at this...monstrosity. ..of a piece of furniture...the more i try to find...its has all the lines of Baroque...style...t hat comes out of Indonesia....i found this bed....just to give you a similarity...in the design...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 03:15:07 am »
Wullie, behave!

I am glad that your impression was like mine.  Here in my neck of the woods they imported alot of items from Indonesia and Phillipnies and they have the REAL SHINY and RED TONE...like this one appears in the photo.  I was just waiting for more pics before I cast the vote solidly.

Still, it is a gift from Gma - which makes it priceless!!!  Where did Gma get it?  What part of world? Country?
Great minds think alike......but only one sticks his neck on the block.....you,re another thats worth a watching....if you know what i mean..... ;D

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 06:31:22 am »
How about some more input from the person that posted this?
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 08:01:56 am »
Yes, Please !!  I hate waiting !!!