Author Topic: my old table  (Read 4508 times)

amiga

• View Profile
my old table
« on: January 07, 2013, 01:25:05 am »
Ok as per original post I am adding more photos of my table. I believe it has little value as it has been altered but I would like to know about it. Where it was made, type of wood, age etc and value if there is any. It appears to have been an extendable table. At the moment it is about 10 feet by 4.5-5 feet. It sits 8 people comfortably. I will try to explain pics as I go Thanks The  leg pic is self explanatory. The bottom of the leg I believe shows it once had a castor. At the leg joins there has been work in each corner under the table and there are letters but unreadable and I think they may just be a mark to aid reconstruction after repair.

amiga

• View Profile
Re: my old table 2
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 01:32:16 am »
This is part 2 lol. The next lot of pics.
The writng seems to read ET(F) 215 but difficult to see. The middle join has a slight crack on the table top. 3. These metal objects are found on each leg but under the table and have a hole in them. 4. This is beautiful. The wood of the struts looks silky and shiny.

amiga

• View Profile
Re: my old table 3
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 01:37:42 am »
Ok I know this is not the way to post and I will probably get belittled but I really want to know about this table. So more pics
1. The table standing upright lol note the unusual little legs in the centre rofl
2.The edges of the table have had work done on them and at intervals there are what look like staples but they are wooden
3. closer look at the wooden staples
ok done thank you

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: my old table
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 03:31:59 am »
first an foremost...i love this table...its made of Mahogany....circa.. .Victorian..mid to late 1800,s.over here its sometime called a Board Room Table...the castors will have been removed...to make sitting at the table more comfortable...becau se with the castors on..the height of the table...was,nt ideal...the "staples" are what we call biscuits...the leaves of the table have a mouth either side,and the joining piece.is glued and inserted then the leaves are clamped...the little ball objects with the hole in it..could have had a rod fitted at one time...to hold a towel, or something similar.....now to value...over here...value on this kind of table is.....high..i,d guesstimate it at...a conservative...£800.+...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

amiga

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 03:26:33 pm »
thanks for the great info but would value be that high as it has definately had a leaf removed and it has a join across the middle of the table? Thanks
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:32:22 pm by amiga »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 03:42:40 pm »
Even in its shortened state...this table is worth money..good money...you just don,t see many tables with this depth of colour...its enough to warm the cockles of yer heart....they just don,t make them like this anymore.....a table this size..needs a big room...that,s for sure.....if its not eating your corn...then..keep it...if you have a room big enough....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 03:43:28 pm »
What do you mean "joint across middle" ??  Looks like it should to me !!  Is a leaf in center ?? Looks like it !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 03:59:04 pm »
As Mart...says...its meant to have the join in the middle....where else would an extending table have the join....you,re nitpicking your own table....normally.. i,d be doing that....but...not this time....btw....can i assume that the pooch under the table..is,nt partial to gnawing table legs...it .looks like a Jack Russell.... ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 05:47:06 pm »
Well, I didn`t see a dog so can`t comment on that one !! If its just missing the casters,, you can find old ones easily to replace them !!  I think same as Wullie !!  Great table,, keep it !!  You would pay dearly if you had to pay for one today !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 05:51:46 pm »
having looked  again..its not a dog...its a cat...and its little left leggies are white...as is its front left...can,t see its rear left....and we all know what big claws they have...especially around a nice table leg.... ;D...2nd set of pics Mart...pic 1 & 2...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:54:40 pm by bigwull »

amiga

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 04:44:34 am »
I will never get rid of my table I love it but I am considering getting the legs tightened as it has a bit of a wobble and it has this line across the top where I believe a piece has been taken out. This line appears to be opening slightly at one end and I was hoping to get it repaired. The legs belong to Pip and no she doesn't chew not table legs anyway lol.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 01:58:50 pm »
now how good a 1st guess was that....a Rat catcher..... ;D

amiga

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 03:56:14 pm »
yep a rat catcher lol but what about this join in the table even if it is origially where leaves went i dont have them

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 04:08:09 pm »
Does the table still have the mechanism fitted underneath...i.e. for pulling apart to insert the leave/s you don,t have,...if the two halves do pull apart.then all you,d need to do is have a stop fitted...This type of table will always have that seem down the middle...it does not diminish its value...as it has been a very expensive table as can be seen by the matching of the wood....i just wish it was mine...just enjoy it....

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 08:20:51 pm »
First of all...you have a nice piece there. AND if Wullie DIDN'T say it was for his fireplace that is a good thing.

As for those metal pieces...looks like someone may have hung some drapery/ruffle all along the underside of the table!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!