Author Topic: Medieval Tapestry  (Read 3120 times)

AngelaV

• View Profile
Medieval Tapestry
« on: January 08, 2013, 12:17:26 am »
Hi Everyone  :D

I recently stumbled across this tapestry whilst searching for something else, and fell in love with it.  :D

Unfortunately I have no clue when it comes to buying antiques and so was hoping maybe somebody could give me some advice.

Apparently it's from the middle ages and from what I've found out online, I'm meant to look out for a makers mark (see photo). As far as I can make out for this tapestry it's 'Haste (or Chaste?) De Monce AVX" . I tried typing that into google but nothing comes up.

I also read that apparently you're meant to look at the back of tapestries and that way you can gauge if the tapestry is hand made or machine made. I emailed the seller but they said the back is covered by a black fabric. So I don't know how much that helps.  ???

I think it looks French, but I could be wrong.

If anybody has any tips when it comes to buying antique tapestries, it would be much appreciated.  ;D

Thanks! 

caspert79

• View Profile
Re: Medieval Tapestry
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 04:17:55 am »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 05:23:06 am »
I am not a member of worthpoint but you might be able to check past ebay sales to see what it sold for,, if it sold at all !! Personally,, I would have to examine an item like this firsthand !!  Or at least get a guarrantee !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 07:30:48 am »
Le Chateau de Monceau  (picture below). Search using this plus..... tapestry

http://www.designtoscano.com/product/more+themes/french+decor/french+tapestries/le+chateau+de+monceau+wall+tapestry+(cotton)+-+pc2478.do

**Second pic .......The original in Musee national de chateau de Pau (National Castle Museum) ( see page 26)

I'd be very wary depending on the asking price as 'copies' can be found for under $200

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:12:38 am »
Question,, you are looking at this tapestry online ??  You gave two pics,,Assuming from the website,, it appears that the top pic (close up) is in a different frame than the bottom pic !!  That would tell me not to buy it !!!  They must have several !!  What is the asking price ??

caspert79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 02:51:26 pm »
Here a better picture of the original:

It's late 17th century, so not medieval.

Yours is a 'copy' like Sapphire suggested. Look also at the color differences.

But if you really like it, I would buy a new one. 200 dollars doesn't sound bad to me.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 03:17:27 pm »
Thanks caspert for posting that better pic. Very obvious now that the one the poster is considering is 'cut off'. The 'picture' ends after the inner most pillars........not the total tapestry view.  ;)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 07:05:15 pm »
Not an original.  You can buy repros all the time.  Nothing is wrong with that at all...just don't buy believing you are getting an antique/original.

Buy what makes you happy!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 07:58:50 pm »
I think she thought it was an antique from her first post !!

AngelaV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 01:05:36 am »
Wow, thanks everyone, you guys are wonderful!  :D :D

Yes Mart, I did think it was an antique *blush*  because that's what the seller told me. The asking price was $1500, which going by what you all have told me is way too much, considering I can get the same type only newer for around $200.

Thanks caspert79 for deciphering that for me!

And thank you to every one who posted links and and pictures. We're moving house soon and this (although not the super expensive one now) will be the perfect addition to our bedroom  ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 02:45:39 pm »
Its pretty and I am sure will look good in your new house !!  Many sellers do try to pass these off as old tapestries when they usually have a stack of them waiting for the next unsuspecting customer !!  You will get the same look with a $200. tapestry as with the $1500. one !!  And if you decide to change decorating schemes,, doesn`t cost as much for a new look !!