Author Topic: Chinese Necklace  (Read 2627 times)

kesgill

• View Profile
Chinese Necklace
« on: January 08, 2013, 09:50:25 pm »
Hi All - I was wondering if any of you had come across a necklace similar to this one.  It is a long heavy necklace with a rectangular pendant, which has a bird on one side and what looks like a flower mounted on a gray stone on the other.  There are what look to be Chinese words on the loop attaching the pendant.  It also has an engraved bobble at the end near the clip.  

I don't see any other markings on it, such as a name or symbol for a company.  It came from my grandmother who traveled to China 15 years ago or so, and I assume she bought it at that time.

Any thoughts?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 09:53:20 pm by kesgill »
"The spirit of the Knowledge Society is the spirit of Pluralism—a readiness to accept the Other, indeed to learn from him, to see difference as an opportunity rather than a threat."
- His Highness the Aga Khan IV (2006, Karachi, PK)

kesgill

• View Profile
Re: Chinese Necklace
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 09:57:32 pm »
Two more - a close up of the symbols and the bobble.
"The spirit of the Knowledge Society is the spirit of Pluralism—a readiness to accept the Other, indeed to learn from him, to see difference as an opportunity rather than a threat."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 02:50:55 pm »
What is on the loop that goes around the chain ??  I couldn`t find these marks !!  Quinborne, one of our members might be able to tell what it is but he hasn`t been on lately !!

kesgill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 08:37:20 pm »
There is more writing (Chinese characters, I think) on the loop around the chain.  My camera's on the fritz, but I'll post a close up when I fix it.  Maybe the writing is the mark, but I have no idea what it might say.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 09:11:43 pm »
Don`t think so !!  I checked a few marks and they are not done with a single symbol !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 11:41:23 pm »
The best way to date jewelry is by the clasp. You've got a lobster claw clasp and unfortunately, that is a modern invention and your necklace does not appear to be antique. But it is lovely, unique and eye-catching! I'd wear it in a heartbeat! ;D
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 01:27:57 pm »
Good job on that Talesof.  True, the clasp reveals that this is a modern necklace...and from the looks of the rest of the construction it doesn't appear to be an older piece with replacement pieces.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

kesgill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 07:07:00 pm »
Thanks so much to all of you!  That's a great tip on dating jewlery - I really appreciate it.

Quinborne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 07:16:26 pm »
The word on the top ring is "Happiness".
The two words on lower ring is "Peace". Chinese word for peace is two words.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 07:22:27 pm »
There you are Quinborne !!  Good to see you back !!

kesgill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 08:10:59 pm »
Oh, that's so nice to know.  Now, I think I like it even more :)  Thanks, Quinborne!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 08:17:11 pm »
Isn`t it nice to know your Grandmother wishes you happiness and peace !!  Lovely necklace !!