Author Topic: Antique dinner set + jewellery  (Read 1974 times)

curiouso

• View Profile
Antique dinner set + jewellery
« on: January 09, 2013, 09:51:08 pm »
Please delete.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 02:08:35 am by curiouso »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Antique dinner set + jewellery
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 11:48:07 pm »
Ooooooooh! Nice antique pieces of jewelry and definitely appealing to collectors!

I'm guessing that crescent moon is going to have a C-clasp on the back? That is the type of clasp where the pin rests in a C-shaped piece with no locking mechanism. Sometimes the C is more of a tube. Both are old style. (FYI you can put a little piece of tape over it when you wear it to keep from losing your jewelry!)

Are there any markings in the cameo ring? Can you tell if it is carved from shell or molded from celluloid?

Can you open the watch or look at the face to see if there is a maker's name?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 11:50:27 pm »
I don't recognize the china pattern, but the watercolor look it has makes me think that it may be vintage rather than antique. We are going to need to know what hallmarks are on the back of the pieces to identify the pattern.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 11:53:34 pm »
On the pendants, we could use a photo of the back sides. LOVE the cameo one! The silver metal one looks to have paste rhinestones, which was very common in costume jewelry. That doesn't mean that it doesn't have value, old jewelry like this is quite collectable.

curiouso

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 12:06:06 am »
I don't recognize the china pattern, but the watercolor look it has makes me think that it may be vintage rather than antique. We are going to need to know what hallmarks are on the back of the pieces to identify the pattern.

It has underneath “DREAM TOWN, MADE IN ENGLAND BY JOHNSON BROS. A GENUINE HAND ENGRAVING ALL DECORATION UNDER THE GLAZE DETERGENT & ACID RESISTING COLOUR. PAT PEND”

curiouso

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 12:15:55 am »
Ooooooooh! Nice antique pieces of jewelry and definitely appealing to collectors!

I'm guessing that crescent moon is going to have a C-clasp on the back? That is the type of clasp where the pin rests in a C-shaped piece with no locking mechanism. Sometimes the C is more of a tube. Both are old style. (FYI you can put a little piece of tape over it when you wear it to keep from losing your jewelry!)

Are there any markings in the cameo ring? Can you tell if it is carved from shell or molded from celluloid?

Can you open the watch or look at the face to see if there is a maker's name?

Thank you so much for your replies!

Yes it has a C-clasp on the back, thanks for the tip!

The cameo has no markings on it at all.

And as for the watch, there is just a number stamped “STAR 379548” (the watch is still ticking inside!).

Will await your response, thanks so much!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 01:05:42 pm »
Need more information on the Mappin & Webb cased dessert spoons (5 one is missing).  Look on the back hand of the spoon itself and please advise what is hallmarked there....It will help date the item and let us know the silver content.  Believe it will be silverplate...but could be sterling!  Also, is the black ball at the top enamel?

Nice group of jewelry.  Would like a better close up of the cameo please.  Front and back.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 05:28:48 pm »
Here are some basic prices of replacement pieces of Dream Town china on Replacements.com:

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/JB_DRTM.htm

and on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=dream+town+johnson+bros&_sacat=0&_from=R40