Author Topic: Ancient tapestry  (Read 2839 times)

RoJL5

• View Profile
Ancient tapestry
« on: January 10, 2013, 05:13:58 pm »
Hi all, first time poster

My dad bought this tapestry at a flea market about 35 years ago and we know nothing about how old it is or where it's from. We think it might be valuable though, because it looks ancient and some time obviously went into making it. Any information about this kind of art at all would be appreciated.

Thank you

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient tapestry
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 05:38:06 pm »
what would help a great deal...would be a pic that we can open up..and one of the other side....for a closer look....also dimensions...and ...where was this flea market....here..the re,...or Timbuktu....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 05:40:36 pm »
Look at it up close under magnification and see if it is truly a woven tapestry, or if it is a printed modern tapestry. If it is truly midieval, you should also see signs of wear, deterioration and stress from the weight of it hanging on a wall. It is unlikely that a textile that old would end up in a flea market, but stranger things have happened! Please provide up close photos and a photo of the reverse side. Also photos of any worn or damaged spots.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

RoJL5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 06:45:00 pm »
Here's one of the back

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 06:48:33 pm »
somehow i was able to enlarge it....the scene..is of a garden party..and artist painting a portrait....circa.. 1750,s...looks European..but could be colonial ..need to see if the pattern is on the underside....

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 06:53:44 pm »
looks to be woven..as opposed to a print..it may be made of silk....but can,t see it being over 250 years, old...the colours are faded in parts...which does suggest some age...my guess would be...19th century...

RoJL5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 07:07:55 pm »
Here's a couple more pictures...approx 2 feet by 5 feet. He got it at a flew market in NYC or maybe upstate NY.

RoJL5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 07:09:04 pm »
Last one

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 07:20:54 pm »
When you take a pic of the back,, you need to get directly over it and closer !!  That way we can see the weave of the tapestry !!  We were camping once and our neighbor ( a German couple) had a similar looking tapestry with silk fringe laying outside to wipe feet on before going into the camper !! I nearly had a coronary when I saw it but she said they were common and sold by street vendors !!  It was a small one at about 36X24 not including fringe !! Color was almost identical to yours !! Very vague and washed out looking !!  She gave it to me as a gift when they left !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 07:22:09 pm »
I,m no expert when it comes to weaving...even although I come from..a city..that was renowned the world over..for Jute related fabrics..and Carpet weaving....Dundee.. .i was able to open this last pic whereby i could count the stitches...this fabric has been done on a loom....of that i,m sure...but i still hold to the 19th century....Tales... .is the one for this....

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 07:26:10 pm »
If you click on that last pic Mart...you can get it to open right up...and you can count the stitches....but..wi th you have...that windy-up....Oh...dial-up....then ...it might be a step too far...for you....or maybe you can dig out the one you,ve got to compare....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 07:53:37 pm »
Yeah !!  I enlarged a few pics !! I don`t think its that old,, maybe 1920`s !! And since it is fringed at the ends it was not intended to be framed !! Two options,, a table runner or spread of some sort !!  Back of a sofa or similar !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 08:03:32 pm »
I think you,re spot on with the runner...and i may be out a few years with my date....

RoJL5

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 08:06:31 pm »
Fine, I lied....two more

Thanks for all the input guys. Think it's worth taking to an expert or getting it appraised? I've never done this before so I don't know what the process is.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 08:08:29 pm »
Back then they put spreads, runners, doilies. and scarves on everything !!