Author Topic: How old, antique chandelier, cannot find one like it  (Read 4087 times)

ktaylor310

How old, antique chandelier, cannot find one like it
« on: January 13, 2013, 02:28:22 pm »
Hi, I have scoured the internet & library looking for a similiar chandelier to help determine the age & value of the one in our home, but can't find one like it!  Our home is 172 years old, and we were told the chandelier is "original" to the home.  Since they had no indoor plumbing & cooked in one of the fireplaces, though, it is doubtful they had electric.  There are no markings on the chandelier that I can find.  The house is a greek revival in Western Kentucky.  The gentleman that built the home died in 1892. His tombstone is embedded in the front porch!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 03:21:18 pm by ktaylor310 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: How old, antique chandelier, cannot find one like it
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 02:55:13 pm »
Would help if you could straighten your pics before posting them !!  Hard to determine anything from these !!  I think someone is pulling your leg on this chandelier !!  But will wait for better pics !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 03:08:44 pm »
Electricity..first came to Kentucky..in 1883....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ktaylor310

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 03:24:26 pm »
I am sorry.  I took pictures with my iPad. They were fine, but rotate when uploading apparently.  I have attached new pictures.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 03:29:11 pm by ktaylor310 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 03:43:05 pm »
When was it rewired ?? The wire running down the chain looks like a clear plastic coated wire !!  And like Wullie said the light bulb was exibited in Louisville in 1883 so would have been much later before houses had electricity !!  More likely after 1900 !!  From the style could not have been used with other light sources like oil or candles !!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 03:47:51 pm by mart »

ktaylor310

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 03:58:17 pm »
No idea of when rewired.  The house was passed through several family members and then the bank before we purchased.  Sorry.  The family added an addition to the house about 50 years ago, but they would have wired for electric before then.  Truthfully, I do not like the chandelier, but am afraid to sell because I have no idea what it is worth. I guess if we take it down there could be markings inside the top lid.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 04:15:39 pm »
Not likely !!  Light fixtures were not usually marked at all unless very high end type !! And I would not consider this in that catagory !!  Can`t see the fixture close enough to tell how its made !! You may find a name on the electrical components but that has nothing to do with the fixture itself !! I think this one is quite a bit later than you thought it was !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 04:21:14 pm »
You don,t like it....but you are afraid to sell it?.....from where i,m sitting...my advice is...get rid of the $ signs that are in your eyes,...after all...they did,nt cost you an arm or a leg....they,ll make a few $$...then someone else can get joy out of them....or you can take them down..lock them away in a cupboard...and hope that they,re worth more than they really are.....

ktaylor310

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 04:39:48 pm »
Ok, maybe I didn't say that well.  I would like to sell, but have no clue... $25... $200??  I certainly am not looking for big dollars, I was just wondering about a ballpark figure.  It is not even all about the money, it is about the character of the house.  If I thought it was really, really old I would have a hard time taking it down just because! I guess you get a lot of people who are hoping they found a treasure in their home... that is not me.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 04:53:41 pm »
Give it a little time and let other members chime in with their opinion !!  Hard to tell much with it attached to the ceiling !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 05:05:01 pm »
There is a little bit..of the treasure seeker in everyone...now to your light fittings...they,ll fetch what they will...my own gut feeling is around £200.+..

ktaylor310

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 05:42:19 pm »
Thank you

Ipcress

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 05:48:50 pm »
it's a celing lantern, and £200 is probably the limit. Loads of them on Ebay

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 06:00:22 pm »
I would agree with that price !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 07:58:03 pm »
I would say the $150 - $200 range would be right if in excellent shape/working condition.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!